Braised short ribs

Thanks.

A couple of years ago I realized that though my cooking was at a level that I could consistently produce quality results across a broad range of techniques, my presentation skills were still quite lacking. I've been working on improving that but it's still a work in progress.

I just read the recipe and it sounds as good as it looks. I bookmarked it to try at a later date.
Thanks for posting. It won't be to long before I start my fall/winter cooking, I've have quite the list to try.

Steve

The mods I made to the posted recipe are:

- I used salt pork instead of pancetta (because I already happened to have some) and I did not incorporate the cracklings back into the recipe.
- I added a couple cloves of garlic, diced.
- I only used 3/4 of the specified liquids, for space reasons, though I kept their ratio the same.
- I used my favorite Southern seasoned flour instead of plain flour for the dredging.

The ribs look great, I was wondering if wine is hard on CI ? I have never tired cooking with it before but I was thinking about giving this a try.

The effect of acidic ingredients much depends on how well-established your seasoning. Not so well risks both compromising the seasoning and iron leaching into the food which can affect the taste and color. If you like spinach, don't cook it in your new cast iron pan, or you'll see what I mean. The longer the cook time and the wetter the food increases the chances of both. A well-seasoned skillet can easily stand up to a deglazing with wine or a quickly cooked sauce with tomato, but you will still find the surface appearance of the seasoning left dull and flat looking. It takes a very well-seasoned DO to stand up to long-cooking acidic food.

I was wondering if someone was going to call out the red wine in the recipe...

I didn't have a problem, really. It did affect it a little bit but my DO was recently reseasoned from scratch with several layers so I just touched that back up again with another session or two afterwards. Circumstances (schedule conflict) also had them resting in the DO for a couple of hours after cooking and there was no iron taste at all. The short ribs do render out quite a lot of fat and that may have helped protect things, though I'm just speculating.

And of course Doug knows what he's talking about with the seasoning. If you're concerned about it you could always reduce the ratio of red wine vs. beef broth or eliminate it entirely in favor of beef broth, or if you're adventurous mix in 1/2 tsp baking soda at the beginning to reduce the acidity. There is no noticeable wine flavor or tartness in the final product, all the flavors were well blended into deliciousness.

Thanks for the Info about the wine in the CI.

My wife has a problem with the wine, so I may just leave that out although I do think it would help to tenderize the meat.

My CI DO is very old and well seasoned (and old Griswold), but I don't know anything about the history of it. A guy stopped me and the dump and asked if I wanted it. I had no idea what I had other than it was a Dutch Oven. My curiosity is what led me to this site and forums.

Back