Bacon press

I've been buying bacon ends and pieces for some time now, so I can render the grease for other cooking. I use the bacon for omelets, stews, and pizza but the grease is why I buy it. I usually get about 1/4 pint of grease from 3 pounds of bacon.
I bought a new bacon press a few weeks ago and have been eager to use it.
I got my chance this morning. WOW It doubled the amount of grease I got. I wish I had a few more of these to cover up all the bacon at once.
The one I have is modern, I bought it at GFS for $14, I have seen vintage Bacon presses with a pig on them. Is there any different designs I should look for? Please show pics of your cool presses.
Thanks Tony

I would soo do that. That would work great in a skillet.
Until I get a CI flat iron I'm kinda stuck using an electric griddle. I could fit 3 bacon presses across the width of it.
Tony

I saw one in an antique store on Friday that was 7-8 inches in diameter with a handle. Keep your eyes open. They are out there.

1/4 cup in 3 lbs of bacon? I get that much from 4 slices of thick sliced!

You can set a c.i. pot on top of the bacon and season both pans at the same time!

It is really dependent on the ends and pieces, sometimes you get more grease and sometimes you get 1/2 a ham. The thought for this post was not to compare who gets the most grease, but rather to show my new founded enthusiasm for bacon presses, and my desire to start collecting and use them.
I really didn't want to start a "grease catching" competition.
Tony

It is really dependent on the ends and pieces, sometimes you get more grease and sometimes you get 1/2 a ham. The thought for this post was not to compare who gets the most grease, but rather to show my new founded enthusiasm for bacon presses, and my desire to start collecting and use them.
I really didn't want to start a "grease catching" competition.
Tony

Well said Tony, sometime a new post on here turns into a "I can do this better than you." instead of " Well done, glad you're enjoying the CI hobby."
So....Well done and enjoy!:chuckle:

Bonney, That would definitely let the juices flow. COOL!! Wish I had 3 or 4 of them. THANKS
Tony

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Bonnie, Sorry for the Mis-spell , Jaci Sorry Too

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Sorry I just saw that I went from a junior member to "MEMBER" HAAAA.
It went to my head for a minute.
Tony

Hank, sometimes I discover better ways of doing things myself. More often improvements come from other sources. Things I didn’t know or ideas I didn’t have, like popcorn (search this site). Please share your ideas of how I can do things better. I also thought a pint of bacon grease from 3 lbs of pork belly would be a minimum.

Hilditch

There is a shop near me that has a stack of these they have labeled as bacon presses but I am not sure if that was their original purpose. They are fairly large and would certainly work as a press.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pri...766840?hash=item1a0c7e80f8:g:9SIAAOSwKtlWnT0u

Lots of folks think those are bacon presses, but they have little nubs/feet on the bottom. They were originally part of a JennAir stove top broiler. Kind of like fake lava rocks.

Back