Griswold Griddles

AlexM.

I haven't see as much info on the griddle logos vs skillets. I have come across a Griswold with an X/brace on bottom and thinking this will be very useful on an electric stove: #738 with "Erie" in quotes at 12 o'clock and slant logo at 6 o'clock. This particular one's handle has a circular hole vs traditional pear shaped cut out. In my brief research I have seen some with or without this handle and with or without quotes for that matter. Thoughts on this piece?
Thanks!

The ones with the X bracing I would think would be LESS useful on an electric stove as they don't sit directly on the heating element. I would think a flat bottom one would work better.

Having said that, I only have one actual griddle in my collection, and besides grilled cheese sandwiches, I rarely use it. I have a couple regular skillets on the stove all the time and they're less prone to me pushing food over the edge and onto the stove... :redface:

Valid points Rick. The heating makes sense it's just that on smaller burners my other griddle w/ no reinforcement bottoms out on front/sides of my stove. For some reason I prefer using the griddle whenever possible for its easy flipping. I'm sure that'll change when I lose a few meals on the floor. I ended up buying one but with traditional handle but think I'll need to keep an eye out for a skillet griddle with smooth bottom as it would certainly be more useful.

My #10 Griswold smooth bottom griddle has become one of my favorite "users". Bacon and eggs on the weekend, fajita meat as required... Not sure I could go back to using a skillet for that stuff. :)
For what it's worth, the griddle had significant rust pitting (and a reasonable price...) but I can't say that has made any difference now that it is seasoned. Good luck finding one for yourself!

Rick you are right on. I have since cleaned in E tank (one more pass before seasoning). I did test the heat concept, this griddle is fairly thin yet a think BSR skillet heated up much faster and I also noticed the heat was not uniform, which makes sense, given the X, hotter near the X crossing. I'll give it a go yet imagine I will flip it, or hang it and wait til I get a gas stove!

Back