To Dry Or Not To Dry?

SeanD

Just curious.....do you dry your CI on the stove after hand drying, or do you only hand dry? I only hand dry, and Ive never had any rust issues....i just rub a little PAM onto the skillet after I dry it.

I continue to stovetop dry (after towel drying) on a low burner very briefly just to get any remaining moisture out of markings or crevices, I suppose. Am I truly concerned about rust? Not really. In fact, there have been times I've become distracted and left the empty pan on the burner, but fortunately without incident. That possibility in and of itself may be enough to recommend against the practice.

I'll do either. It's not a preference for me. It just depends on my mood lol. I will dry on a burner if I'm placing any kind of oil on it. A lot of times, my pan is relatively hot when I'm cleaning I don't feel it's required.

If the pan is not hot when I clean it (decided to eat breakfast first), I will heat on the burner.

I dry on the stove briefly but put it on the lowest setting just in case I get distracted. But I don’t put any oil on it. I always get my pan hot before adding oil to cook.

I also dont put my DO lids on the whole way. I leave it on crooked, so air can circulate. Seems to work for me.

I only towel dry, then I leave it out on the stove to air dry for a while but I don't light the burner. I've found oiling my cookware after cleaning tends to quickly dirty up the places I store my iron so I also don't bother to oil after drying unless the existing seasoning is somehow damaged or the piece was only recently restored and initially seasoned.

Back