Wagner at the Swap Meet

SRFrancis

Impulsive stop at the Rodium Swap Meet this morning. Only found 2 pieces of CI after walking the whole swap meet, a Wagner 10" and a Wagner 1268d. Not cleaned up yet, but, they seem to be in good shape, flat, little rust, normal carbon build up. $24 for both. My daughter gets the skillet, I already have a 10" and the other piece is going into the camp gear for use on the tripod. I'm happy.
Both are Wagner Ware Sidney 0 with the fancy W. Does that mean they were made before 1960?

http://imgur.com/a/IigWp

No made in USA visible. The skillet has some carbon build up on the bottom, but, I am pretty sure nothing there but the logo. I'm a total novice at this. They were laying on a blanket and I could barely make out the 8 on the handle. I new it was the same weight as my everyday 10" when I picked it up. The 1268d came with a pyrex lid. Did Wagner make lids for the 1268 pots?

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Did a little research on this site and learned the skillet falls into the 1935-59 range because of the flat bottom. Can't wait to get after cleaning and seasoning it later this week. The lids for the dutch oven on ebay are crazy expensive. Camp outs may have to live with the pyrex lid for a while. I have an old 12" spider with a recessed lid to bake in. The dutch oven will be used for stocks and gumbo, plus, as a small holding oven on a tripod over the campfire for breakfast meats. I'll pick up a trivet for that.

Thanks Sharon. I start the cleaning process today and will post pics when finished. Do you have a CI lid for yours? The lids I found that appear to fit on ebay are $40 and up +shipping.

http://imgur.com/a/pt3an

They cleaned up well. Some pitting in the skillet but 6 thin seasoning coats let me cook some eggs in it this morning as a test. Daughter is stoked to get it and we are starting to plan a spring camp out to test the dutch oven. I'm happy.

I noticed when cleaning the #8 Wagner Ware skillet that it felt lighter than the #8 I use daily that does not have the WW logo, just 10 1/2 INCH SKILLET-MADE IN USA on the bottom. Learned it is 8 oz lighter when I weighed them. Is this much fluctuation in weight for the same size normal?

There will be some variation from pan to pan, depending on the individual pattern most likely. Your Made In USA pan is probably heavier due to automated molding processes which necessitated pieces be thicker to withstand machine handling.

Just now saw your post #5 on this thread. Yes, I have the CI lid for my DO; it is the most elegant shape; the Wagner CI lids stand out that way.

Back