Kettle Help

I have a lodge kettle in amazing condition that I picked up a few years back. It’s merely been setting on the shelf for some time. Well, after purchasing a French press I thought, what better opportunity to use the kettle then now? Low and behold in the base of the kettle there is a spot the size of a nickel that has the enamel broken off and is rusting. What can I do?

You could try treating the spot with vinegar to remove the rust and bake some seasoning on it (the spot) to keep it from re-rusting, not too hot so as to risk compromising the enamel further, though.

Please heed Doug’s advice about not raising the temperature too high. I found an enameled kettle one time. On the one I found, the only enamel left was a two inch band around the top. I usually season mine at about 475-500 degrees. Big mistake with enamel (especially when it is already compromised). After several minutes at 500, I heard a bunch of loud pops in the oven. I opened the door and there were little pieces of enamel all over the oven.

Since then, I have done a couple of other enameled pieces. I seasoned them at 350 and have not had any problems.

I believe Lodge now rates their enamel up to 450 degrees.

Back