Restored Waffle Irons with Photos Show & Tell

Got my Griswold #7 finished today. Matching set, 889 and 890 paddles with 972 base.
GwKKSv3.jpg

EkieWew.jpg

Love the WIs. I'm still thinking about handles for the Puritan I snagged and cleaned up last summer. They're normally wood so I of course, picked up a lathe project, that needs work that I haven't done. The lathe is mostly cast iron... I'm also picturing some wire handles but probably need some slightly larger diameter steel.

Some nice looking waffle irons here. RickC, Keep the conversation going.

Fun cleaning them, keep them coming. :icon_thumbsup:

Awhile back I posted a picture of four waffle irons as part of some that I had purchased. Missing was this Shapleigh, made by the Shapleigh Hardware Co. of St. Louis, Missouri.

It's a pretty basic unit, with the name on one side only. There'd been some discussion on removing/replacing the coil handles on WIs in general. The set up on this piece is the most user-friendly I've come across. There are a couple of threads cast into the base of the handle, with a metal rod that I assume was inserted during the casting process. A few turns on the coil handle allows you to remove or replace it, with the rod remaining intact as a stabilizer. I think it's a very slick set up.

On the negative side, there's a cross grid pattern on the cooking surface of one of the sides. It's right from hell for cleaning, at least initially. I cleaned it in a lye tank and maybe electrolysis would be the way to go. I know I spent a lot of time with my dental picks to get it clean.

Attachments

• Shapleigh WI open.jpg
    Shapleigh WI open.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Shapleigh WIron.jpg
    Shapleigh WIron.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 54
I had meant to mention the similarities of the Shapleigh to a Stover WI I have: yes, the grid patterns are the same and the handles screw on the same. They have the same hinge assembly: both sides are flat and one has a pin protruding which fits into a slot on the other. I don't know if the bases are interchangeable, as the Shapleigh is up for sale in a shop, but now I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in the big city (Bangor).

Great job Bonnie....I'm going to start sending all my WI's to you for restoration.
BTW...You just had to show that Favorite knowing that I'm still looking for a base for mine....I'm calling foul.

OK, Bonnie, now I have waffle iron envy--that Favorite is just beautiful! Am still trying to get my hubby to take pictures for the forum. I would like to show my 2 pieces here--a no. 2 Griswold and the paddles from a much older set marked Wheeling Foundry.

Some of you may have seen this W.I. earlier this week on e-Bay & yes...I bought it...$100 + S&H. The history on this piece is amazing. The patent (277,422) is in our data base, inventors J.B. Harker & C.L. Wilkins, 5/8/1883.
John B. Harker & Co. later became "Columbus Hollow Ware Co (1882-1902) which was founded by Jesse F. Hatcher, E.B. Hatcher. Things really got heated in 1884 as Matthew Griswold, DBA as Griswold Manufacturing Co. leveed an infringement law suit against Harker, J. Bohner & F.M. Ruttan based on the invention of Selden & Griswold W.I. invention of 1880 (Pat# 229,280). According to the research I've done "The Metal Worker" paper stated that in Aug. 4th, 1884 Griswold won the law suit which may explain why there are very few of these W.I.'s available. What's very strange is I could not find when John B. Harker was born and when he died. His business was the "John B. Harker & Co.- Minn. Min. and when it become "The Columbus Hollow Ware Co." the trail ends for Harker. Maybe Doug knows the end of Harker because I can't find it.
Anyway...Enjoy the pictures. BTW...I put new handles on it today. The ones that were on there were cracked and not properly attached.

http://imgur.com/a/2uqTj

Michael

Found the mate to your G F Filley in Galveston today. First time I was able to figure out how that handle/rotating device worked. Pretty neat. It was nasty, had not been cleaned, low base. They were asking $95. I passed. Still have two WI's needing restoration.

Let me know if you want it. I have the name and address of the shop.

Jack

I didn't realize that we had a WI thread (until Jeffrey posted in it yesterday and it showed up as 'new')

I'll add some links to some of mine.

selden and griswold button hinge:
griswold 'the american' button hinge:
#18 heart and star high base:
griswold wafer iron (no base) button hinge:
griswold 'the new american' acorn hinge (only one paddle)
the unknown #13 iron (no base): https://imgur.com/gallery/ZXlnt

griswold american #8: https://imgur.com/gallery/cwp5L

Jeffrey R, that is beautiful! Great job in restoring it.

Thank you. It is always a pleasure to see my work as well as everyones hard work in restoring these pieces of utilitarian works of art.

This thread was started back in 2/29/16 for everyone to add to and to enjoy. So lets add your story with photos.

D_Madden, some fine work you have done. Thank you.

"& Tell" – does anyone actually cook with collected CI WIs? My rationale for collecting has been that I "could" cook with the piece. I have no WIs.

Back