Potassium Hydroxide?

Could Potassium Hydroxide (potash) be used rather than lye.
"Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) and Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) are almost interchangeable. They are the most chemically similar of the hydroxides. They are both a white, strong alkaline, corrosive solid or powder. Sodium Hydroxide is more commonly known as lye or caustic soda where Potassium Hydroxide is known as potash."

I think it would be slightly more expensive but easier to find.

Rooto is pretty easy to find, in my experience, cheap enough and 100% NaOH. Any Ace Hardware (in the US).

Not sure if you can have this shipped up to you, but worth a look.

http://www.essentialdepot.com/product/NAOH-32-FOOD_GRADE.html?

Two items that you were inquiring about are sold from the link I supplied. I sell to folks north of the border, but sometimes they have me ship to an address on the USA side of the border and come down and get their mail (shipping cost). Not knowing where you live if that works for you. But I do not ship either product you were referencing in your post and weather you can get it across the border legally.

I know this is old but just wanted to say i use KOH and it works fine.
I have it for making BioDiesel so get it by the 50 Lb bag.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Checked the Ace Hardware here in Central Texas, and the Rooto had no list of ingredients by name and %, but apparently contained a high percentage of concentrated sulfuric acid!!, as that was mentioned in two different places on the label, in large red letters on the label. BE CAREFUL!

Checked the Ace Hardware here in Central Texas, and the Rooto had no list of ingredients by name and %, but apparently contained a high percentage of concentrated sulfuric acid!!, as that was mentioned in two different places on the label, in large red letters on the label. BE CAREFUL!
Rooto "Professional Liquid Drain Opener" is sulfuric acid based, and is not the product referred to here or on the website.

Rooto "Household 100% Lye Drain Opener" is a crystal product. Warnings on the back panel state it contains "Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda,Lye)".

Back