Please help me ID these two skillets

Alan B

This weekend we picked up a total of 5 CI skillets for $23.00 at our new favorite indoor flea market place. There is a 3-notch Lodge No. 8, Wagner No. 6, and a generic unmarked one, but among them are two "mystery" ones I'd like to know more about.

Yesterday I gave them the lye and electrolysis treatments (they were really crusty and rusty) and today I'll do the first round of seasoning.

#1: Only identifying mark seems to be the number "70" on the bottom, slightly offset from the handle. Has heat ring which is shallow and smooth. Smaller than a No. 8 and larger than a No. 6.
Image Image

#2: Appears to be quite old. Gatemarked bottom with a fancy handle. Has a raised "L" on the bottom and an "8" in the top of the handle. Also has a large dimple in the under side of the handle. There are several casting defects in various places around the skillet. It also looks like somebody scorched the bottom on a grill or similar.
Image Image

First is BSR, a #7; that's a letter "O" pattern identifier. One of those BSRs that we say Red Mountain series by the markings, but by its heavier casting and small pour spouts is more likely from the later automation era considered part of the "Century" series timeframe.

The other, one of those we'll never know, but a nice one.

First is BSR, a #7; that's a letter "O" pattern identifier. One of those BSRs that we say Red Mountain series by the markings, but by its heavier casting and small pour spouts is more likely from the later automation era considered part of the "Century" series timeframe.

The other, one of those we'll never know, but a nice one.

Awesome, thanks. Can't wait to put these two into service.

The BSR I offered them $3.00 for because it had, quite literally, 1/8" of crud buildup on the outside and 1/8" of crud on the inside. I didn't even know there was a heat ring or number on the bottom until it soaked a couple of hours in lye.

I paid $5.00 for the mystery one on the bottom. It had some old seasoning on the cooking surface and a lot of surface rust on the outside. I really like this piece - it seems to be a very high quality skillet. It looks rough but it's smooth as glass, and all the casting flaws give it nice character.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Also am I correct in assuming the bottom one was probably made around the turn of the 20th century or slightly before?

Also am I correct in assuming the bottom one was probably made around the turn of the 20th century or slightly before?
That would be a reasonable guess. It has traits that are consistent with earlier and with later, so it's hard to say.

Well in case you were wondering, this is how the antique one looks now! It cleaned up and seasoned beautifully, except the oil got a little splotchy in places. The inside is smooth as glass and I bet it's going to be a great user. I was able to scrub off the "grill marks" on the bottom with some coarse steel wool, so I'm not sure what that was all about.

Image Image

Hey Alan,

We've got a griddle and skillet that have the same handles. They both are marked #7.

I found what looks like the same skillet in "Early American Cast Iron Holloware" book by John Tyler on page-138 at the top. Doesn't mention who made it, but cool to find another that looks the same with some general information such as American, ca.1860-1880. Diameter 11.75", handle 5". Pointed teardrop handle raised from the rim with an elongated hole.

As Doug mentioned, we may never know who made them. We're digging ours and thinking they're pretty cool.

Hey Alan,

I've also noticed that the Excelsior Mfg. Co. made some skillets and griddles with the same designed handle. Don't know if they made any that didn't have their name cast into it. I think they were one of the earlier companies.

Thanks for the input, TD, mine does look a lot like an Excelsior. That's a brand I hadn't learned about yet, but the [potentially inaccurate] info I found online states they manufactured between 1865-1900.

Mine has the maker's mark "F" like this Excelsior example has an "A" but not in the same position:
1_3ace111f7d2ac654283ed662223ef97d.jpg

The handle is a pretty good match but the raised number "8" is also in a slightly different position:
1_3ace111f7d2ac654283ed662223ef97d.jpg

(images aren't mine; they came from an auction site)

Back