Help ID #2 Skillet

RonH

I purchased an old skillet with no marks or logo except a small number 2 on the bottom of the handle. I am new at this and I do not know much about old skillets, but I have read that some number #2"s are more valuable. I will be grateful for any help ID'ing this critter. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully Ron

A number on the bottom of a handle is typically an identifier for quality control, like a molder's mark, letting the manufacturer know from which individual pattern a piece's mold was made. Size numbers are usually found either on the tops of handles or the bottom of the pan. If there aren't any numbers or other designations you can see (under some crud perhaps?), we can only go by dimensions. #2 skillets do bring some higher prices relative to their size. If you can supply the diameter at the top without pour spouts, and post a photo of the top and bottom, we can probably figure it out.

My skillet must be a #3 because it is exactly the same size as my #3 Griswold. However, the handle is at least a couple of inches longer and looks kinda like my Piqua handle, scooped, bent downward somewhat. I guess the longer handle made the skillet appear smaller in perception. I cannot post pics at this time, but I will work on getting this done as well, might take a couple of days. Oddly enough, the bottom is fairly clean. Nothing is stamped on this skillet except this one #2 on the bottom of the handle unless it is on the inside. The inside still has crud in copious amounts. Thanks for your help, and I apologize for being so vague before.

Respectfully,
RonH

Back