BSR

CPorter

I have a some bsr's and seen many of them and all of them didn't look of great quality, did BSR ever make good stuff like polished cooked surfaces?

BSR may have made some good pieces early on but I never paid much attention to them. They seem to have a faithful following but I feel like you; not much quality and pitiful small pouring lips and lacking in style.

I have a #3 BSR that's awesome, as deep and nearly as big around as a #4 with full sized pour spouts. I'm thinking it's at least 80 years old.

As for their later stuff, I call those clunkers, but still superior to new Lodge as users.

Last edited:
To me, BSR seems about on par with Lodge, and, like Lodge, their quality only really declined with the advent of automation and the cessation of polishing. BSR appears to still have polished even after they went to automation, as Lodge did, too, even if not for long. And, like Lodge, the shrinkage of pour spouts and thickening of pan walls can be attributed to automation requirements.

I have a #10 BSR with 1930-40s "Red Mountain" style markings I actually think was made in the 1950s, after BSR started automation. So, I think it is really a "Century" piece, owing to its heft and small pour spouts. But its cooking surface is very smooth.

I read somewhere that the century line was available in as cast,milled and polished cooking surfaces.I have several that are polished.

The first iron skillets to come my way were #8 BSR clunkers, but they had very smooth surfaces and made great cookers.

I've had some very nice BSR. Not quite as smooth as some, but once they develop a nice layer of seasoning they become a lot smoother.

Back