New collector w/ questions....

HWJohnson

Greetings everyone! Earlier this week my mom gave me these skillets. They were some of the few things that survived her house being destroyed by hurricane Ike. They lived right at ground zero where Ike came ashore and theirs, along with everyone else who lived there, house was completely washed away. We managed to find these skillets and some other misc things strewn about. They were buried in the sand and of course exposed to salt water for a while.
Anyway, I plan on trying my hand at restoring them this weekend. Initially I was going to begin with a vinegar bath and elbow grease but my mom said she thinks they have a charger so I may try to make an electro tank.
Judging from the pics do you guys have any idea who the manufacturer would be? Just curious as they won't be sold and will be users. The #8 has some pitting on the inside but I'm hoping with some restoration and seasoning that will go away.

Image Image Image Image

They are all Birmingham Stove & Range Co. (BSR) "Century" series, made in the late 1950s-1960s. The ones not marked "Made In USA" are earlier (pre-early 60s); the ones with it a little later (mid to late 1960s). They appear to be not too far gone, and should clean up fine enough to be users.

http://www.castironcollector.com/birmingham.php

Ok, great! Thanks Doug. I'll get started tomorrow on the restoration and provide an update on how it's going.
Also probably hit some antique shops and/or garage sales this weekend to see if I can dig anything else up. :-D

My first skillets were BSR clunkers, left behind in a house I moved into. They still make fine users compared to anything modern

This is my #5 after a vinegar bath and then a soak in the electro tank. Its not as pristine as a lot of pieces I've seen on this site but for my first attempt I think it came out ok. It cooks great and the surface is very NON-sticky! Cooked eggs on it the last 2 mornings and they didn't stick at all. Just a rinse with hot water and a quick wipe down with a paper towel and they are good for the next batch!

Last edited:
Back