Another #9 Large Logo Griswold, and a Wardway?

TyHiggins

I hit Jesse James, and see a #9, I could tell by the 9 on the handle it was Griswold. I check the price tag, $29 which at 10% off made it $26.10. I pick it up, hardly daring to hope when I turned it over, and it was the large logo. I've been watching these sell on ebay, one went for $80 plus $13 in shipping, so I'm happy. I also grabbed a LL Griswold #8 for $22, not a steal but that's about as low as I ever see one nowadays and makes a third one for me. I may need help, I'll look into where the closest chapter of Cast Iron Anonymous meets at.

We pop in at my moms, and she hands me a family heirloom skillet. It's the same size as the #9, outer heat ring, noticeably lighter than the Griswold. The logo at the 12 o'clock was mostly covered, but the bottom part shows a very stylized W. Then underneath that in small block letters it says Montgomery Ward, and under that a small 1433. I'm thinking perhaps a Wardway with a different style logo? Guess when I open a slot on the tank in it goes to see. It does have an area off center that's bowed out, makes it a wobbler, but it'll cook just fine.

The very same, but a 1433 (#9) it was very well seasoned and slick, used by my grandparents then my mom for generations.

Back