Are these plated?

JakeN.

Default Are these plates?
Hello, new collector here just getting into. Was at a flea market this morning and saw two griswold big logo smooth bottom no 5s and one no 6 as well as a national no 8 with a star for 30 bucks so I barely checked them out and bought them in my haste. Now that I look closer at the griswold they appear to be played but it's hard for me to tell because lots of the pictures I've seen of plates pans are very bright.

Are these plated and if so will my e-tank bring them back to bare iron? How can plating affect value? Seems to be about 25-50% less according to BB. I only want to collect bare iron so if it's not advisable to take these back to bare iron I'd want to resell them, or the extra number 5 either way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 42
I see what you're saying, but no, they do not appear to be plated. Clean, bare cast iron is gray. Just good, smooth, vintage casting.

That's great news, thank you! Wasn't sure if maybe the plating was just worn, I have yet to see a plated pan I'm sure once I do I'll be able to easily identify them in the future.

Was looking closer at the two no. 5s and they look a little off to me. The lines of the cross look a little wavy whereas pictures I'm seeing are usually dead straight. Is it possible these are fake?

Attachments

• IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 27
Line up 6 of the same size and TM Griswold skillets, and you'll find slight differences in all of them. These aren't fake.

Ok that's good to know, thank you. It's interesting that both of them have very similar "flaws" though.

Back