Hello From NJ

Jeff Koenig

Hi All,

Jeff the newbie here. Totally new to cast iron cookware but I grew up with my dad always using it.

I have 2 new Lodge pans (12" and 10"), and 4 antiques that I striped down (used oven self cleaning - seemed to work well) and am seasoning now.

8 1/8 " 50s BSR skillet (surface is really smooth on this one - looks like a great pan)
6 1/2 " 60s Wagner (unmarked) skillet
8" Chicago Hardware Foundry (not sure what year range, but it's pre-1960)
5" unmarked really old pan (pre-1960 for sure but likely much older)

Welcome! There is a lot of great people and info here.

I would like to see pictures of the seasoned skillets when you have finished them.

Will do. Almost done with them. Final time in the oven. Far from perfect looking but I think they are going to be great to cook with.

The hammered pan isn't CHF. The maker is unknown. CHF hammereds have an 8 and the size number and usually a pattern letter, e.g. "8 5 A" for a size 5.

Thanks - The only one that is giving me some heartburn is the really small 5" one. Looking at the style of the pan (angle of the side, etc.) and the fact that it has no Made in USA mark (or any markings for that matter), I would think that it's older and that the pan surface itself would be smoother. It looks like the surface of my pre-seasoned new Lodge pan. Is this normal?

Thanks
Jeff

Welcome! You will learn a lot from this forum. The members are very knowledgeable and helpful. Cast iron is an exciting adventure and search into the past. Good luck and happy hunting. :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. That little pan was kind of thrown in when I bought the others (I was never sure what it was) so I don't care much if it's old. If it's newer, the finish make sense and I will use accordingly. As for the hammered pan, I got mixed info when trying to identify that one and figured it might just be an old ugly (but cool looking) pan. Looks like a good cooker, so I am how to throw it back into use.

Nice job Jeff. Restoring is like a disease with no cure. The hunt is enjoyable as the catch. You never know when you will run across a deal. Stopped in a flea market this weekend and ran across an older fellow who wanted to sell out and travel. He was willing to deal nicely the more I bought. Came home with a dozen nice pieces. Unfortunately I couldn’t get him to part with any of his 45 pieces of Griswold.

Back