Griswold Small Block Logo

MikeL

I found a #9 small block and a #9 Iron mountain skillet today both in excellent condition. When I got home I went on ebay to check the sold listings to see if I wanted to go back tomorrow and pick them up. What I noticed was that even though the small block is not considered collectible, they are going for about the same price as the large block. Is this normal? Are the small block becoming collectible?

They are asking $60 for both. Should I go back and pick them up?

I have an Iron Mountain #7 and #8, a small block #3, #5, #6, #7, and #8. I'd like to have them but not sure I want to spend that much.

I don't think $30 for either of those is excessive in today's market. Plus, you won't have to pay shipping. I would still have to ask for a better price for buying both.

Do you think people are collecting the small block more than they used to?
Not necessarily. Just like antique stores and flea markets, eBay sellers also think "Griswold = gold" when pricing.

I used to pass on all the small logo pans unless they were really cheap... but I've bought about 10 of them to clean up and use, possibly sell/trade (3-10, missing 4 and 9... but I have two 10's) and they have all cleaned up really well... nice and flat... really good cooking surfaces... since I 'need' a 9 I would probably pay the $30... depending on flatness and other condition... but I think I got my two 10's for $20-25 each. I tend to categorize them as comparable to the pre-1960's stylized logo wagner ware pans.

However, I'll just add... there was a set 3-10, small logo, early handles that showed up on ebay a month or so ago... so I watched it to see what it would sell for... it jumped up to about $350 with a day or two remaining on the auction... and I was amazed to see that it eventually sold for around $575... that's averaging about $70 per pan! I consider that an outlier though, I don't think there are a lot of buyers willing to pay that for a set of small logos... but there was at least one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRISWOLD-Ca...-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-Skillets-SBL-/232319519016?

Last edited:
I try to avoid the most common pieces in my area. Thes include three notch Lodge, High Stylized Logo Wagners and Small logo Griswolds. In my area they don't know the difference, they price by size and are usually double what they really take. With that being said I have several of these pieces I received in "lots" and sell the duplicates. Some people are looking for them, making them collectable and my selling prices are the same as some Vollraths!

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I went back this morning and tried to talk him down. Originally yesterday he was asking $40 each but I talked him into $60 for both. When I tried to talk him down some more today he wouldn't budge, but I did get him to throw in a nice #5 CHF skillet. :p

Back