Various Stages of Completion

So the plan was ... to do "a pan a day."

I quickly found out, however, that one might discover a good pan #2 before pan #1 has finished its lye bath. So I put #2 in the electrolysis and then pan #1 gets all de-crudded but still needs a vinegar bath since the electrolysis tank is occupied, so now I've got 3 pans in various stages of completion with dirty rags and steel wool everywhere, mama ain't happy, so nobody's happy, and then what do you know, here's a nice little Griswold I can pick up, just needs a little TLC, and you can always use another pan ... What I'm getting at is that it's hard for me to avoid making an unsightly mess of the garage and patio with this multi-pan approach ...

So the plan going forward is to do ONE PAN AT A TIME, NO MATTER WHAT. I think this will involve putting every new find on a shelf in the garage, and I ain't TOUCHING it until the previous pan is as clean and seasoned as I can make it.

Only problem with that is, that I get an oven nice and hot, it doesn't make sense to season one pan if I can do three.

I suppose I can always re-season a "finished" pan along with the pan that just came out of electrolysis.

So what's your approach? Do you always have pans in varying stages of completion? Or is your pan area a complete mess like mine was till yesterday. (I broke down all three of of my tanks and am taking a breather for a while.

Consider your lye bath, if large enough, as a holding tank. If you have a pan you de-rust with electro, drop it in the lye tank, where it won't rust again. When you have a few pans ready to season, then you can do them all at once.

Wow, thanks. I was doing it backwards! That helps ... electrolysis first, then to the lye tank.

If you're reading this, Doug, could you weigh in on the "Slant logo made in USA" question in the general forum, por favor? I do realize the thread title is misnamed because the skillet doesnt say "made in" the USA.

I appreciate your expertise.

I have between 12 and 20 pieces in my lye tank at any given time. On the weekend when I have free time I go through them to see who is ready. I pull out one piece, vinegar bath for 30 (rust or not I just do it), scrub, apply a light layer of grease and set to the side. Maybe I feel like doing another, maybe not. Whenever I get an oven full (usually 4 or 5 as I don't stack or let them touch) I'll start the actual seasoning process.

This means I have four or five items at the most that are not in the holding tank (empty 20 gallon container) or lye tank. A few neatly stacked pieces in the corner of the kitchen counter seems to pass inspection at my place. Once they are done they go on display or to the local dealer for sale.

Wow, thanks. I was doing it backwards! That helps ... electrolysis first, then to the lye tank.

Not necessarily backwards. The conventional wisdom when you have both available is to let lye do the heavy lifting and electro finish things up when you have time oversee it. You were asking how to be more efficient with your oven usage. The lye tank gives you a place to put ready-to-season pans when you're not yet ready to season them.

If you're reading this, Doug, could you weigh in on the "Slant logo made in USA" question in the general forum, por favor? I do realize the thread title is misnamed because the skillet doesnt say "made in" the USA.
I believe I did, and I (and others) pointed you to a resource(s) to help you with the dating.

If you have a pan you de-rust with electro, drop it in the lye tank, where it won't rust again.

Why is this? Is it the lye or the grease from previous pans? But I definitely agree, I've left pans in for months on end with no rusting.

Back