Any Point to Stripping Enameled Iron?

Lady sold me a nice #5 Griswold today and tried to make me a deal on a second pan, a red enameled Griswold #8, I think it was. It was chipped badly on the white cooking surface, and I'm not crazy about the red exterior, which is in pretty good shape.

Any chance of getting all that stuff off and making it worth the trouble? How would you do it?

Related question: if fire "gets off anything," how did the red bottom survive the stove so perfectly for so many years?

Thanks,

Rob

Like plated pieces, enameled are only worth it if undamaged. If by stuff, you mean removing the enamel, I'd have to pass. You probably couldn't get it off with out damaging the pan anyway, or going through way more trouble than it's worth.

Enamel survives if people treat it the way it's supposed to be, which is low to medium heat.

Thanks Doug, and yes I meant removing the enamel. My instincts told me to pass on it, and I'm glad I did. I've got enough trouble restoring the pans that are NOT enameled!

Comment: I have one of the no. 7 enameled small logo Griswold skillets, and it has chipped badly on the cooking surface because my husband used too high heat with it. The pan is still useful, but it certainly is not in a condition to pass on to anyone else! My point is that if you have a pan in that condition, it IS still usable.

Back