It's Happened the Bug Has Bit

JRobson

After going into the office this morning I picked my wife up for lunch and then we spent the afternoon hitting some antique malls. The weather was perfect here in the St. Louis area. The last store we went to she just rolled her eyes as I made my way to the cashier. Since I do all the cooking she quietly said nothing since she knows she'll be on the receiving end of some great meals. Total damage just over $65.00. Other than the trivets (Milton R & J. Z. H 1948) the only marked piece is the #8 Griswold from what I can see. I think i am correct in its identification. I am dating the piece from 1957 to the mid 1960s. It is in great condition.:icon_thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMGP4374.jpg
    IMGP4374.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMGP4375.jpg
    IMGP4375.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 84
Two BSR skillets, a Lodge DO cover, and a post-acquisition Griswold made by Wagner in OH.

Super excited (I think) of they way they cleaned up so far. In the morning I do a 30 minute soak in a vinegar solution and lightly steel wool the surfaces to remove minor rust and then begin the seasoning process.

Attachments

• IMGP4377.jpg
    IMGP4377.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP4381.jpg
    IMGP4381.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 42
JRobson, if your pans seem to have any cooked-on residue stuck to them, here are some good cleaning options in the "Resources" section of this website. (Sorry I can't post a link--my pad won't let me!)

That's a cool little melting pot.

BTW - you might want to test that one for lead, just to be sure some guy wasn't using it to make his own sinkers or bullets.

I was thinking the same thing after researching it. Don't think I am going to use it for cooking tough. My plans are to clean it up, season it and use it for display.

I still remember when it bit me, almost 2 months ago now LOL. I found a skillet made around 1880 at a flea market, went home, did some research, found this great site, now I have almost 100 pieces. If someone would have told me a few months ago I would be buying cast iron cookware and using them, I would have told them they were crazy. My wife and I have been married about 20 years and the most I've ever done was use the microwave, and I usually asked her how long to set it for. I'm still not sure if she's happy about my new found hobby or if she's just humoring me.

Back