Griswold vs Wagner ware

D.McClure

Can anyone enlighten me as to why collectors take such a liking to Griswold cast iron vs Wagner ware?
I have a few examples of both brands and to my eye they both have very high quality characteristics.
All casting is very good, edges good with no rogh edges. All markings in good uniform shape.
The both of them seem to be pretty equal to me. What makes Griswolds so much more collectible?

Honestly I think a lot of it is that people just like the aesthetics of the fully marked Griswold pieces like the large block skillets. It's bold, busy, and eye-catching.

This sounds like Ford vs Chevy, and yes both have very high quality characteristics. :icon_thumbsup:

To the eye of the beholder.

Sometimes things are popular because they are popular. Not being in production any longer makes things collectible in a lot of people's minds too. I like that there is an element of rarity but there are still enough of them around that you can pick up some cool pieces without taking about a second mortgage. Sort of like old double edged safety razors.

I've collected a few different things over the course of my life. Very old cameras, vending machines, electric fans 1940's and older, and now cast iron cookware.

Cameras, some people collect brands, but a lot more collect certain types of cameras. Rangefinder cameras, box cameras, folding "Pocket" cameras, press cameras, etc.

Vending machines, people do collect certain brands, but it's not as common as collecting what you like.

Antique electric fans, kind of all over the place. Personally I would pick up what I liked, but gravitated towards one brand (Emerson Electric) because of the quality and ease of repair. The rest were just filler. When I was into it, it seemed like most people just wanted 1 of every type/brand of fan.

Cast Iron cookware, I personally just pick up what I like, I've slowly gravitated to two brands, neither is Griswold or Wagner. I've only got a few pieces of each of these brands, but my goal as a collector is now to build a set from each of "MY" brands.

I think the appeal of Griswold is the LARGE logo, the nice clear lettering, and the quality. I can't help but think that if Wagner had made their logo larger, etc etc... They would be even with Griswold. There's a reason why People pay $30 - $40 for a No. X, un-marked Griswold made Iron Mountain skillet, but will pay 3-5x that amount if it has a nice large Griswold logo. Same quality. Marked goes for $$$ Same goes for Victor, look at the pieces that are just marked Victor, -vs- the pieces marked Victor, The Griswold Mfg. Co.

With something like cookware, I'm sure sentimental value comes into play as well. Grandma had Wagner, so it must be the best. Mom had Griswold so I should buy that, etc etc... Fact is, there are a number of companies that met, and exceeded the quality of both, but didn't have the marketing muscle to become household names.

</rambling>

I've slowly gravitated to two brands, neither is Griswold or Wagner.

Which brands?

With something like cookware, I'm sure sentimental value comes into play as well. Grandma had Wagner, so it must be the best. Mom had Griswold so I should buy that, etc etc...

I can relate to this. My grandmother had a very nice set of Favorite skillets, which now belong to my dad. I am partial to Favorite because of this, even though down here in the south I have only run across one marked skillet and a handful of unmarked Favorites.

I purposely pick up griswolds to trade for wagner , favorite, and martins. I get way more bang for the buck and all 3 made fantastic CI

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Which brands?

I can relate to this. My grandmother had a very nice set of Favorite skillets, which now belong to my dad. I am partial to Favorite because of this, even though down here in the south I have only run across one marked skillet and a handful of unmarked Favorites.

I found a #12 at a thrift store for under $20. It is so thin.very light for its size.

Last edited:
Which brands?

I plead the 5th.. I never see them in the wild, and end up buying them online where I pay through the nose, and have to compete with everyone else.
You may find some hints in my previous posts, but I don't have to make it easy. :-|

Quitly of Sidney Hollowware, Wapak, National/Wagner,Wagner ware DO Erie,Favorite Cook Ware. Looks like no diet plan will work for you. :bow:

Quitly of Sidney Hollowware, Wapak, National/Wagner,Wagner ware DO Erie,Favorite Cook Ware. Looks like no diet plan will work for you. :bow:

I may have posted this before, can't remember, but this is my collection. It's small compared to a lot of the one's I've seen, but I'm very proud of the nice pieces I've been able to find so far. I've got a few more that I haven't photographed yet, but they need some work first.

OPPS!! I forgot to add Sperry. I thought that you said that you do not collect Griswold and Wagner, so when is the sale???? :biggrin:

Some nice iron there, RickC. :icon_thumbsup:

OPPS!! I forgot to add Sperry. I thought that you said that you do not collect Griswold and Wagner, so when is the sale???? :biggrin:

Some nice iron there, RickC. :icon_thumbsup:

I don't go out of my way to look for it, but I do buy it, and like it. I'm just more interested in other odd pieces.

Hows' this??

Franken-top,medium.1415088348.JPG

Franken-bottom,medium.1415088332.JPG

Is that an old repair on the handle? The back side shows a line across the handle.

Yep, handle was broken completely off. Looks like a blacksmith repair. Riveted with 1/4" steel rivets. The patch piece was really well done. Follows the contours of the handle all the way down to the skillet edge.

I like the odd ones. Re-cast items, odd sizes, ghost marks, etc...

Back