Help with Lamb Cake CI

John K

Need help in IDing this lamb cake and what it is worth.

Attachments

• lamb 1.jpg
    lamb 1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 72
  • lamb 2.jpg
    lamb 2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 59
  • lamb 3.jpg
    lamb 3.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 62
John,
I'm thinking this mold is not a Griswold. There were three different sizes of the Lamb Cake Mold that Griswold made. These are listed on our BB pages 132 & 133. Since size is a determining thing it would help some if we knew the dimensions. I'm suspecting your mold was made by a company like John Wright or sorts. If it has no numbers on either piece it would not be a Griswold which has some high dollar values.

I'm just starting to get interested in these types of molds. I'm I correct in assuming, since the lamb has a mouth, it can't be a Lodge? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Lodge did not put the mouth on the lamb, had more detailed musculature, and was a little smaller maybe?

I bought the lamb cake mold and after checking the size, 13 7/8 X 8 1/4, I looked it up in the PB and believe it is a Wagner. Doug was right as usual. It has surface rust and I don't think it was used very often. Very little what appears to be cooking crud. After 3 hours in the E-bath, the first half cleaned off with little work and a little steel wool. It was not seasoned very well and I will start seasoning after I do a complete cleaning of both sides. This piece of CI will stay with me. My mom made a lamb cake every Easter. It is a Polish tradition. I am determined to have it done by Easter. I have the recipe for using a cast iron lamb cake mold and plan on giving it a shot.

Back