Griswold 270 Corn or Wheat Question

KevM

got this today. don't think its fake, nice castings, lettering, and such. my only issue is why does it have this silver color to it. is this normal. the top looks kinda normal but the back is silver in color like aluminum or galvanized.
Image Image

the book says the 270 was only made in iron... I have the 272 and it is obviously iron... the 273 and 283... could be in any of the following: iron, chrome, hammered, porcelain or aluminum.
Yours looks kind of aluminum to me.

Not sure that answers your question.

If it was aluminum, it would be a fake (a very nice one, though), as Griswold's aluminum versions had pattern numbers different from their iron ones. Could be DuChro. I have some DuChro pieces with varying degrees of polishing. DuChro by Griswold definition has plating left dull in part.

the magnet test was the first thing I did. definitely not aluminum. I was thinking DuChro but I would think one side would be a bit shinier. I have another Duchro stick pan somewhere I was gunna compare it to but I think I already boxed it up. if I remember right the topside is very shiny and the bottom is dull. did they make these in DuChro?

I have Griswold plated stick pans that the entire top surface is mirror polish, and one only the handles are.

In the picture of the top surface there appears to be traces of plating in various spots. Is it possible this surface was sand/shot blasted?

In the picture of the top surface there appears to be traces of plating in various spots. Is it possible this surface was sand/shot blasted?

it's just the photo, it's actually pretty uniform. the surface is pretty smooth to have been blasted.

it's just the photo, it's actually pretty uniform. the surface is pretty smooth to have been blasted.

It could be blasted and still be smooth depending on the blasting media used.
I have seen pieces that look like yours that have been blasted or left in a vinegar bath too long leaving a very light gray or silver looking finish. (Ruined in my opinion) When you season them the oil turns brown but the iron doesn't appear to darken at all like most older pieces.

Back