Unknown Chicken Fryer

Colin Campbell

Looking for some help from the collective brain trust here in identifying this chicken fryer and lid I picked up at an estate sale yesterday. It does have some wobble (okay, I'm learning) so might just be a good for dutch oven dishes in the oven. At the least, a good learning piece.
My best guess is that it's some form of an unmarked Wagner. It's smooth bottomed and has the triangular flat base on the underside of the handle where it meets the wall of the fryer. The only marking on the bottom is an 8 followed by a dot. No sign of a logo or part number, though it's conceivable there could be a ghost mark under the black on the bottom. The top of the handle has no size number on it. I have no assurance that the lid originally came with it. It has a size 8 directly under the handle, and the handle looks like the pattern was two halves put together as there is a slight groove in the center. Inside has a random recessed dimple basting pattern.
I've looked through the forums here and on the web, but haven't been able to come up with anything that was exactly like these. Since I can only upload 3 photos, I think these three are the most pertinent.

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 56
Birmingham Stove & Range. The flat area on the underside of the handle is unusual for BSR. The larger pour spouts and style of lid place it in the pre-automation Red Mountain era of BSR.

Thank you, Doug! That would have been my second guess except for the lack of a heat ring which my other two BSR size 8 skillets have. One is an obvious Century series as it has the measurements on the bottom. The other has no discernible markings at all (it is heavily covered in baked on carbon) so I'm guessing a Red Mountain? I'll post photos in a new thread.

Any idea as to the age of this fryer?

Finally got this one cleaned up. Funny all the little flaws that show up after all the crud is stripped off. The cooking surface is slick as glass. Looks great except for a few small pits. Not sure if that's a casting problem or not. There wasn't any embedded rust inside. Along the wall there's some pitting (last photo). Not sure if that was due to rust, or slag in the iron.

https://imgur.com/gallery/AFNEKv5

Back