popover and regulator

Kevin
I have never heard of this heat regulator. Can you tell me more about it? How does it work and how do you use it?

Thanks
Jack

The item you are calling a heat regulator is actually a Guardian Ware trivet. My books are out in the truck right now but I believe it is shown and misidentified as a Wagner piece in either the BB or RB.

The item you are calling a heat regulator is actually a Guardian Ware trivet. My books are out in the truck right now but I believe it is shown and misidentified as a Wagner piece in either the BB or RB.

It's in the red book that you seen it on page 21. that was the whole reason why bought it I thought I found something pretty neat. they call it a regulator. I do see when I search for Guardian service trivet it brings that one up but most of them say aluminum it looks like most Guardian service stuff is aluminum not cast iron. I did find it a little odd that it only fits the 13 pan. I didn't think would be considered a trivet since it doesn't have feet to keep it up off of whatever it's sitting on. It's a huge misrepresentation in the book although they don't specifically say it's Wagner

I'm going to have to disagree with Jeff S. That is a Wagner piece that went with the #13 skillet and is not a Guardian Ware piece. It was meant to spread the heat more evenly across the wide expanse of a #13 skillet. Hence, a "heat regulator."

ok so that's wagner 2 and guardian service 1. I see some people say it for a tri pot set but it doesn't even come close to fitting. if ya look in the bottom left you can see the edge of the trivet. I would think if it was guardian service it would have the knight trade mark on it. I don't see Mr Smith and Mr Wafford adding it to their book if was incorrect.
http://imgur.com/a/Kkr5m

I have always heard this referred to as a trivet but it is possible it is a heat regulator but not for a Wagner skillet. There is a pic below with it being used as a regulator under a Guardian pan.
This piece was discussed years ago on the WAGS website and was determined it wasn't a Wagner piece. The only WAGS reference I can find right now to it being Guardian and not Wagner is this comment during another discussion that notes the error in the RB.

Title:*Re: Columbus Iron Works or Griswold?
Post by*Roger Barfield*on*Sep 16th, 2009 at 4:59am

Ron, unfortunately those books have errors. *I don't think that these pieces have anything to do with Griswold. *It's like that Guardian trivet that's listed as a #13 skillet heat regulator.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 32
It's also worth noting that the books list values for sizes of certain skillets that were not known to have been made in those sizes. Another that comes to mind is the attribution of Maid of Honor cookware to Lodge; hold one in your hand and you'll find the only thing even vaguely in common with Lodge are some heat ring notches.

Jeff S I found where your quote came from. I was hoping for some more discussion but they are talking about a hibachi grill. I tried looking for a catalog or something from guardian but no luck.

KevM, I was on the WAGS site back when this was discussed but cannot find any of those old posts at this time just the post with the quote above that states the known error in the book. A lot of the people on the WAGS site have collected for years and have vast knowledge on the subject of cast iron cookware.
Also since all the regulators found are the same size one would have to wonder why Wagner made one for just the #13 skillet and not for the more common #14.

I was wondering the same thing as why only one size. I found a web page guardianservicewarecollectors.com. was made in USA by Century Metalcraft Corp. from 1930's - 1950's. "Cookware crafted from aluminum alloy". it says "One was round and was meant to be placed on the top of a gas burner. Then, the three triangle pots were placed on the trivet so that all three post could be used with one burner, thereby, saving on fuel costs." but if you look in the other photo they don't fit on the regulator and hang of the edge. I would think if it where meant to spread the heat of a smaller burner the items that where placed on it would have to make full contact in order to be heated by the regulator. I found a few ads but nothing with the regulator in it. I did find this one that they did make with the 3 pots on it. I think this one would work better at heating them. not sure who made the regulator but I don't think it was guardian service. maybe it goes to neither wagner or guardian
http://imgur.com/gNz9ACj
http://imgur.com/ljUf1JZ

I agree with the part of your last sentence suggesting it's not Wagner but from what I've learned in past discussions and judging from the pics below have to disagree with it not being Guardian.

Attachments

• bd733e055bc0109f3dc6c8f93d2ddf07.jpg
    bd733e055bc0109f3dc6c8f93d2ddf07.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 28
  • bdbfa3868381226f2b055a55bb1a3e4f.jpg
    bdbfa3868381226f2b055a55bb1a3e4f.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 24
OK, you guys have convinced me it's not Wagner, but assuming it is Guardian, what do you think it was used for or paired with? I can't seem to find anything in the Guardian line (of the pics and dimensions I've seen, anyway) that it seems to go with.

The quote in post #12 describes how it was supposedly used. It would appear that it did not necessarily equal the diameter of the three "trio" pots when placed together, but it would allow them to sit level and snug against each other over an average diameter burner.

Yeah, Doug, I saw that, but I'm not sure it would work. Those three triangular pots nested together wouldn't fit on the trivet much less one stove eye. I clearly remember the ones my mother had. They weren't small when standing alone and nested together were quite large.

They don't appear to need to fit within the diameter of the trivet for it to function as I surmise. Remember, too, that a big selling point of the ware was the conductivity of the aluminum. It would not have been necessary for the burner to be as large as the diameter of the trio of pots.

From the dimensions I've seen listed of the pots (6 7/8") and trivet (12"dia) the outer edge of the pots will only extend a little less than an inch past the trivet.

The quote in post #12 describes how it was supposedly used. It would appear that it did not necessarily equal the diameter of the three "trio" pots when placed together, but it would allow them to sit level and snug against each other over an average diameter burner.

the way the trivet is designed they wouldn't sit level. on one side the outer edges have a lip as if to hold onto something (like the heat ring on a 13 or a platter). if you flip it over it has a raised inner ring. so no matter what side its on the pots would not sit level or even be sturdy if sitting on a burner. if anything there is a platter these sit in that is 16" dia that may sit on top of the trivet/regulator. ive looked and looked and haven't found any ad or brochure with this thing in it. everything I see they made was aluminum and this is cast iron. it may have to be cast iron instead of aluminum so it wouldn't bend from the heat of the fire and the weight of the pots and contents.

There are apparently cast iron and aluminum versions. Until someone comes up with a catalog showing and describing the intended function, this is all just speculation. The info available says the the function is for the trio to sit on a single burner. Photos of brochures show a round platter being used to convey the trio of pots to the table for use as serving pieces.

Back