Griswold Ware with original labels attached

I saw this on Craigslist. 4 pieces of Griswold Ware Early American Cast Ironware. It's obviously modern, but I am curious if anyone would be interested in it because it still has the labels. The General Housewares Corp ownership puts these somewhere between 1969 and 1996.

The seller is asking $150 for the set. I'm not interested in it at that price, but the seller has listed it a couple of times so he or she might be willing to negotiate.

Comments?

Attachments

• griswold.jpg
    griswold.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 77
  • label.jpg
    label.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 103
Collectors don't really consider these as being truly Griswolds since they weren't made in Erie, PA and at this point were being produced from altered Wagner patterns.

Collectors don't really consider these as being truly Griswolds since they weren't made in Erie, PA and at this point were being produced from altered Wagner patterns.
The pans even look like they have thicker sidewalls than Griswolds. Still... anything with the original labels intact should be respected, I think. Opinions on quality do change with time, and these are certainly rare.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

I do have to wonder, however, after seeing these NOS Wagner pieces, if perhaps we should not be more cautious about NOS labeled pieces until we know more.

Without the labels, they would normally be IDed as unmarked Wagner. With a different label, they were also sold as Wagner. These pans with the labels intact may be rare, but the pans themselves are not.

That they tout themselves on the label as "Early American" is pretty indicative, too.

BUT!!! I think we always need to keep in mind that tastes change, and what might today seem in some way, "off", often is the exact reason for a collectible down the road. If it is honest, then the fact that it is rare is almost always going to work in its favor eventually, I would think. Does that make sense?

Back