Dutch oven ID?

RobertN

Wondering if anyone might be able to shine some light on the background of this Dutch oven? Make?

It was my Grandmothers. My Mom has had it for years. Mom thinks it dates back to 1930's or 1940's at least. Did a lot of cooking with my Grandmother in this DO, and a fair amount with my Mom. The only markings I could find is on the bottom. There is a number 8 inside a diamond, and a number 3. I did not see any other markings.

Pictures included :D

Most of my cast iron cooking has been in camp Dutch ovens, in fairly new Lodge ovens; never knew about them until my son go in to Scouts. Ever since, we have a had a couple 12" DO.

Attachments

• DO 1.jpg
    DO 1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DO 2.jpg
    DO 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DO 3.jpg
    DO 3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 53
Figured would post a picture cooking on coals; this is one of my DO, not the one I asked about above.

Attachments

• cooking.JPG
    cooking.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 21
  • ready to eat.JPG
    ready to eat.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 23
Cool, that is interesting reading. The CHF story kinda ended at the riots; did they continue past the late '30's?

I have very limited experience, but the way that the handle connects to the lid with those "teardrops" and the 8-sectioned drip rings inside the lid make me believe it is an unmarked Favorite. I have what I believe to be one, although mine has no markings at all.

Back