Newbie cooking with CI

Rob_W

I'm a relatively new user of CI and still haven't gotten the hang of cleaning the stuff.

I was all excited for the first use of this long griddle I got. As you can see something along the way went awry.

Pork sausage patties seemed to have a high enough fat content for a first use. So away I went. After cleaning with just hot water and one of this lodge scrapers this is what I got.

What did I do wrong? Is it salvageable or am I going to have to reseason the whole thing?

How hot was it? I've had similar issues on a charcoal grill with too much heat. I'd try some oil with salt and a rag/potato before re seasoning.

What kind of griddle is that? If it is an old one then I am going to say you didn't get it quite clean enough before you applied your seasoning. Did you clean it with a stainless steel scrubby or a hand held brush?

My take is that you didn't oil it before putting on the sausage and did not get it hot enough. The first thing I would do now is give it a light coat of oil and bake it at 475° for an hour. Then proceed if it needs more cleaning.

Hilditch

I had it on low heat. And didn't apply any oil thinking the sausage would give off enough. It's an old favorite piqua ware. I cleaned it to bare metal and scrubbed with steel wool. Is there any particular type of oil I should use? I've been using crisco to season with.

Thanks all for the help!

Rob

Canola. You need to get that thing hot. When a little butter starts to turn brown it is ready for the sausage. Hotter for pancakes.

Hilditch

Looks to me like it needs a bit more in the way of cleaning before anything else. I would heat it up with 1/8" of water to a simmer and work the rest of that residue off with a spatula or that Lodge scraper, if heat resistant, first. Then do a couple more manual seasoning coats.

Isn't that residue about to become wonderful carbon seasoning with a little oil?

No answer requested, just expressing my seasoning philosophy.

Hilditch

I think it would become several poorly adhered patches of crust that will flake off in use.

Back