Over electrolysis?

Rob_W

I'm relatively new to the world of cast iron restoration and have tried a sundry of methods. I recently started using electrolysis and like that it takes both the rust and old seasoning off (haven't tried lye yet). My question is if it's possible to keep iron in the tank too long. Or if there are any consequences if the sacrificial anode wasn't clean (rusted, rough surface, etc).

My recent project seems like I could have introduced some pitting to the surface and was wondering if anyone else have experienced that and if so what is the remedy?

Thanks all!

Rob

I have left pans in the electro bath for days at a time and the pans have never been damaged. Not saying it couldn't happen, but not to me so far. I have damaged my carbon plates doing that, but not my pans.

Jack

My recent project seems like I could have introduced some pitting to the surface and was wondering if anyone else have experienced that and if so what is the remedy?

Might have actually already been pitted, but the pits were filled with rust. No more rust = empty pits, making it seem like the electro pitted the iron. :icon_scratchchin:

My anodes are two pieces of ugly rusty rebar that get a couple of swipes with a wire brush after each session and thrown back in the corner for another year. My charger is a piece of crap that puts out 1.5 amps max. Each position gets 12 to 24 hours.

Works perfectly.

Hilditch

Might have actually already been pitted, but the pits were filled with rust. No more rust = empty pits, making it seem like the electro pitted the iron. :icon_scratchchin:

That's most likely what happened. I have left pieces in for a week because I was busy and didn't have time to season them...there have been no ill effects.

Rob

What you are seeing is that the years of old seasoning removed revealing the pitting that was under all the seasoning.

I have purchased pots that looked to have a very smooth base, only to find rust and or pitting under the old seasoning.

Thanks everyone for the response! I feel better now about not ruining my pan by doing something silly in the etank.

Back