Anything "NEW" in Cast Iron?

RickC

I see these companies come and go selling "NEW" and "Improved" cast iron cookware. Is there anything actually 'NEW' or revolutionary -vs- what Lodge already offers or what you have been able to buy for over 100 years already.

The only thing I've seen lately that seems possibly revolutionary is Lodge's new heat treated rust inhibiting cast iron. Pretty neat trick if they actually work as claimed. :bow:

Different handles, odd shapes, other stuff doesn't really impress me. I'd love to have a skillet shaped like California from the American Skillet Co. but it's expensive and not really practical. I'd love to have a new Finex skillet, because I'm a collector, and I really think they look nice, seem to be made really well. But again, expensive and don't seem any better than any one of the tons of skillets I already have.

I guess my question is, have any of you tried any of these new and improved skillets, was it worth the money, and honestly, did they actually improve upon something that seems to have already been perfected 100 years ago? ....Or are they just different versions of the same exact thing?

I've always thought using the terms "new and improved" in conjunction was a contradiction. If something is new, then it is not improved. If something is improved, then it is not new. You can, however, have a new improvement. Kind of like the old Westinghouse slogan---"You can be sure if it's Westinghouse." What is it I can be sure of? Enough of my jibber jabber.

I don't have any of the new cast iron in the links nor do I intend to get any. Nothing in any of the links lead me to believe that any of the products are either new or improved. Expensive, yes. I have read some comments elsewhere of folks that have Finex. Biggest complaint there seems to be that it is extremely heavy. If I wanted heavy I'd go with BSR or Lodge.

I love this. We have multiple new American companies or foundries competing for business. Obviously if you are starting a cast iron business you have a great love for it. This is basically how it all started before. Competition. I would gladly invest in these American companies and give them a shot. Why not? I already buy pans I dont plan on using every so often, might as well try something new and see how it works!

One of the skillets I have looks like that Bluebonnet skillet so I read a little more about them. It looks like that skillet is made in China or it used to be made in China, I don't see any available anymore.

I saw a youtube video of a guy stripping a pair of new Lodge heat treated skillet and then running them through a dishwasher twice. No rust anywhere. Almost sounds too good to be true. Does anyone with experience using one of these have any wisdom they're willing to share?

I pretty much expected the answers I got so far.

It's already been done and perfected at a cheaper price.

I would like to see new foundries started and a return to the old way of doing business. Today though there is more required start up cost along with the cost of clean air and safety for the workers. That will,be expensive.

I guess the call that I feel for cast iron will not to buy the new craft but to continue to be amazed at what I can find that is often a hundred years old.
I have handled a lot of pots and pans. Good old cast iron still remains my favorite.

What Mark said.
The feel and weight of old cast cookware isn't likely to be duplicated. Sort of like picking up a Snap-on tool and a lesser tool that does the same thing. The better tool feels better in your hand and is better in perhaps subtle ways.
Pick up a later (post 1960 but not new) Lodge whatever, and a '40s BS&R (or Lodge), same pan. Tell me there's no difference.

Thanks RickC, never heard of those brands from Solidteknics and Bluebonnet. The Solidteknics seem really nice but are real pricey, then again they are made in NY, a high cost state. But I like the longer handle and the grip on opposite side of skillet. I also like the Bluebonnet. I'd love to try one. Price of around $47 seems reasonable given the features offered.

Back