Displaced Mainer in NC. CI junkie for a couple years

SumuriaB

My addiction has gotten out of hand. I felt I needed a support group. Like minded people with an affection for their awesome cookware. My first piece was an unmarked enameled gem. I actually think its a lid. It fits 4 chicken thighs perfectly (and fits in my new convection toaster oven!) I recently acquired a #8 plated Wagnerware National with what I think is nickel plating. I have reservations on cleaning it with any other method than electrolysis. Still waiting for the cash for the charger to turn up. Lol. I love the forum and have visited many times. I have many "users". I have enameled French ovens, and 5 Wagnerware skillets, 1 Griswold 5 (small logo). I have tossed all other pans. I use cast iron for every cooking application except when I use the pizza stone. I have also found a grill that looks exactly like the Lodge sportsman grill but has patent pending on the door and is stamped Atlanta Stove Works on it. (4 legs). Seems like every week I am carting home some hunk of crusty metal. Everyone thinks I'm nuts! They just don't understand the enchantment of taking something that looks so horrible and transforming it into a magical cooking vessel again. I'm very excited to be joining the group!!

There's a risk when using electro on plated pieces. The process is essentially the reverse of what put the plating on the pan in the first place, so one risks removing plating, especially at points where the plating may be compromised. The self-cleaning oven method is also problematic in that you may risk turning the plating a bluish color. I know some have reservations about lye-based cleaning solutions, but it's really the safest way on a plated piece. And considering plating essentially makes the piece non-reactive, the trepidation re: lye should actually be lessened.

Nice find on that Atlanta stove works grill.Doug has some nice history on BSR and Atlanta stove works under the notable U.S manufacturers section.

Thanks on the electro tip! I thought I had read the Pan Man had used electro on his one nickel plated Gris with good results. That's why I was considering that my option on that piece. I have used oven cleaner on some of my early pieces. I just know this one is special (well they all are to me) so that's why I'm holding out on the restore. I did scrub it good and it looks much better, but not to its potential! I'm so happy to hear from you! The only info I could find on the sportsman grill was an old ad from the 60's. I tried to post an image but its to large. The top grate is broken on one side like it was dropped, but I am so in love with it, that it effects my value none. It sits in my fireplace so I can see it all the time. :D I paid 20 dollars for it at a Habitat For Humanity store. Heck the new lodge one goes for almost 120 on amazon! I'd like to find the fish fryer to go on top! Lodge had discontinued it I understand. I can't wait to pick all of your brains. I have a ton of questions! I will try to limit to a reasonable amount!

Lodge did contract molding for BSR/Atlanta for the last few years they were in business. As part of the settlement for what remaining was owed, Lodge got their patterns.

Back