Help - Skillet Identity Please?

DruC

Hi - New to the forum, and not a lot of background on Cast Iron other than I bought 3 Lodge pans new about 10 years ago and been using them ever since...

HOWEVER... my Wife has inherited this pan from her Mother, who got it from her mother etc... Now we have not used it... (probably will be relegated to the BBQ due to the Ring on the bottom and the glass top stove) - I did season it once (While I was doing some maint on the Lodges) and that is the extent of treatment given to this pan since acquiring it. It's pretty smooth in the pan but there are a few deep pits - not sure how that effects the value or collectability it may (or may not) have etc... (other than sentimental value)

Now I did look through the forums a bit and tried to identify it, but I am not sure exactly what to be looking for. I THINK it is a Highland Foundry of Boston, late 1800s perhaps?

Anyone able to give some insight into this Pan?

Image Image

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

A Couple of more Pictures of that same Pan... if it helps

Image Image

Thanks in advance folks!

The ability to attribute pieces of this vintage to a maker without at least some identifying markings is rare. What information suggested Highland Foundry?

I have to say its from the 1800s, probably 1880s......very nice condition too.....Im liking that handle, lol. Its unique to say the least. Oh....and Welcome to The Forums!!!

The ability to attribute pieces of this vintage to a maker without at least some identifying markings is rare. What information suggested Highland Foundry?

A very fair question :icon_scratchchin:

As I was searching I could not find any pans that even looked remotely similar however the deeper I dug I did find this link... Early Cast Iron Skillets by someone named Steve Stephens. Now if you scoot down the page you find this image....

McA4ooi.jpg

Now with this image he gives a description, and this excerpt...
At the right are H.F. Co. marked skillets Nos. 6-7, 7-8, 8-9, 9-10, and 10-12. The double size marking would indicate that each skillet would fit two different stove size lids. Some of these skillets also have a patent date on the bottom June 10, 1879.

Ok so similar pans with single pour spouts.. and Ornate type handles (but not identical)... closest I have seen so far... then I saw the top part of the handle close to the pan... and here is the same on my pan - blown up a bit.
MOPx6EI.jpg

Now I am not saying I am right... just showing where I came to with my research so far... and hoping someone may point out if I am right or wrong (Probably the latter LOL)...

One note though, I am in Newfoundland Canada, and in the years before confederation with Canada (in 1949) - we had strong trade ties with Boston... so I thought the Highland Foundry of Boston kinda made sense...

Now I may very well be way out in left field - grasping at straws :icon_rofl:

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

I have to say its from the 1800s, probably 1880s......very nice condition too.....Im liking that handle, lol. Its unique to say the least. Oh....and Welcome to The Forums!!!

Thanks very much! The condition part I am having a hard time with cause I guess I really don't know what I am looking for / no frame of reference... Guess that comes with time :)

I think there is probably a greater likelihood that the same pattern maker created patterns for Highland and whatever foundry made your pan than of it having been made by Highland.

I think there is probably a greater likelihood that the same pattern maker created patterns for Highland and whatever foundry made your pan than of it having been made by Highland.

Ok - that could be... my lack of understanding the way the industry worked (foundries of the day) - I didn't think that a pattern maker would sell his services to multiple foundries like a contractor for hire...

Mind you I am still leaning that way - I have come across several pans so far, some actually labeled as Highland, that also have that mark, and a Raised 8 in a similar font.

I do admit the odds of finding the proof positive lineage of this pan is probably unlikely but hey.... ya never know... :icon_thumbsup:

Back