Seasoned pot and skillets

John K

Just finished seasoning 3 no. 8 unmarked Wagner skillet as gifts for my relatives who never used CO. I also seasoned a scotch Favorite pot for me. I used flax oil and it worked great as long as you make sure you wipe off any excess oil when seasoning. I don't think I will use anything other than flax oil from now on.

Lemme guess, the Canter blog?

Lots have reported success, lots have reported failure when it comes to flax. I've tried it on a skillet to satisfy my own curiousity, it took a swim in the lye tank. Makes for a nice shiny piece, but as a worker? Meh.

Lemme guess, the Canter blog?

Lots have reported success, lots have reported failure when it comes to flax. I've tried it on a skillet to satisfy my own curiousity, it took a swim in the lye tank. Makes for a nice shiny piece, but as a worker? Meh.
Yeah, I read that blog not long ago, and after seeing some posts here about the flax seasoning peeling off, I surmised that maybe the hardest polymerization is not necessarily the best polymerization. The cast iron is constantly expanding and contracting as it is heated and cooled, and the seasoning must be able to expand and contract with it. If it can't, something is going to give, and it won't be the cast iron!

Dan, I have been experiencing with all sorts of oils for the past year. The best results with a piece of iron was using my brick outdoor oven at 900 degrees. I used flax seed oil and the results were amazing. Very hard and black sheen. Realistically the time it took to fire up the oven and get it to the desired temp. (about an hour and a half) was not realistic to justify doing it for all my stripped cased iron. Have found using grape seed oil at high tempts in the oven to work best.

Dan, I have been experiencing with all sorts of oils for the past year. The best results with a piece of iron was using my brick outdoor oven at 900 degrees. I used flax seed oil and the results were amazing. Very hard and black sheen. Realistically the time it took to fire up the oven and get it to the desired temp. (about an hour and a half) was not realistic to justify doing it for all my stripped cased iron. Have found using grape seed oil at high tempts in the oven to work best.

I unwittingly did my own seasoning experiment last night. Brought the shortening covered pans slowly up to 500F, then went to bed without turning the oven off! I do NOT want to see my next utility bill!

I unwittingly did my own seasoning experiment last night. Brought the shortening covered pans slowly up to 500F, then went to bed without turning the oven off! I do NOT want to see my next utility bill!

So...how did the pan turn out? Did you achieve a nice dark seasoning? :chuckle:

Dan, I am seasoning a bunch of skillets today. It finally cooled off enough outside that I can run the oven with the windows open. I think I am going to make a run to the scrap yard and get me some more oven racks. I only have two now and it's slowing me down.

We did a kitchen remodel a few years ago, before I started an interest in CI. But the wall oven we bought has a cook timer on it, and it's been so awesome for CI. I can set it to cook for whatever time I want it to, and then it'll turn itself off. Most often, when I season, I'm doing it just before heading to bed and it's cooled and done in the morning.

We did a kitchen remodel a few years ago, before I started an interest in CI. But the wall oven we bought has a cook timer on it, and it's been so awesome for CI. I can set it to cook for whatever time I want it to, and then it'll turn itself off. Most often, when I season, I'm doing it just before heading to bed and it's cooled and done in the morning.

Oh, my range has a timer on it, too. But did I use it??? Noooooo!!!!!!:chuckle:

Gonna have to sell all my WagerWare to pay for it.

Back