Happy mail

Bonnie Scott

I got this in the mail today. I think I will have to use OC to clean so I don't mess up the thermometer. I finally found my hammered DO. Yay.

I don't see much for lye or Easy Off to do to that lid, not on the top anyway. I would probably just mask off the thermometer with painter's tape and scrub the rust with some straight sprayed on vinegar.

Nice. Hilditch would do his best to remove the thermometer and refurbish it if possible returning it to the lid after seasoning. 50/50

Enjoy, Hilditch

More than one maker appears to have produced hammered finish ware without the usual TM markings.
The Wagner aluminum version is marked, though. Mine came with trivet and a free bonus:

The vinegar scrub did wonders for the DO. I put it on the gas stove to dry and the thermometer works. That was a nice surprise. :icon_thumbsup:

I picked up a Wagner aluminum scoop. It is the one on page 92 of the RB that says Orange Blossom Glycerine Soap.

I am trying to find your broiler grill in the books but I don't see it? I saw one like it but yours is different.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Nice. Hilditch would do his best to remove the thermometer and refurbish it if possible returning it to the lid after seasoning. 50/50

Enjoy, Hilditch

Hilditch, I think this is one time I will accept the dirty thermometer and just call that patina. When I first saw the photos I thought it just screwed out but after closer examination, it is pressed in and I don't think I can get it out without damage. As long as the inside of the DO is spotless I can live with the seasoned thermometer.

Last edited:
I knew it would have a big price tag next to it! That was your free extra trivet! :icon_rofl: Those are my favorite kind of free things.

Hi, Bonnie. I think you just answered one of my longstanding questions. My favorite soup, stew, etc. pan is a hammered DO which my late mother-in-law gave to me many years ago. (She couldn't handle the weight of it any longer.) It's not marked, but I was pretty sure she got it early in her married life (i.e. 1930s), and while it doesn't have the nice thermometer in it, the style is identical. That is a really neat piece! Happy cooking!

Bonnie, I understand you caution and appreciation for patina. Nobody could guess as to what somebody might have put it there to secure the gauge in place or if seasoning welded it in.

This is not a recommendation but to satisfy my own curiosity if it was mine I'd put it in the freezer for 15 minutes to see if the thermometer wanted to shrink faster than the CI and fall out. Once upon a time differences in temperature with different metals were used to install bushings. When the temperature normalized they were secure. Rather than pressing the gauge in they may have just kept them in a cooler, set them in and when they got warm they expanded for a tight fit. No fuss, no mess.

If it feel out, I'm not sure what I'd do with it but at least I'd know how to get it back in.

Enough babble form me. I'm glad you found the DO you wanted and that the gauge works.

Hilditch

This is not a recommendation but to satisfy my own curiosity if it was mine I'd put it in the freezer for 15 minutes to see if the thermometer wanted to shrink faster than the CI and fall out. Once upon a time differences in temperature with different metals were used to install bushings. When the temperature normalized they were secure. Rather than pressing the gauge in they may have just kept them in a cooler, set them in and when they got warm they expanded for a tight fit. No fuss, no mess.

Hilditch

I use the following method to shrink aluminum parts that become stuck in iron or steel surroundings, particularly on vintage bicycles: Use a can of butane, like the kind for refilling lighters, and press the nozzle against the aluminum part, the rapidly expanding compressed gas will freeze the part your blasting, shrinking it and making it easy to remove. Aluminum has a higher coefficient of expansion and will shrink more than ferrous metals. It looks like the bezel around that thermometer is aluminum.

Nice score, by the way!

I would be concerned about the extreme cold of the gas possibly cracking the glass.

Back