Lots of New Stuff

Michael Aos

We used to camp a lot 2002-2015 and I had picked up a few pieces of Lodge. I had 2x 10.25" with glass lids. Later gave them away and got 2x 12" with glass lids. Bought Lodge 8", 9", and 13.25" skillets and the 10" Chef Collection skillet and 5 Quart dutch oven with bail handle and Lodge Signature 12" (with the riveted stainless handle) back in those days. No cast iron since then.

I don't recall the reason, but I bought a Lodge 12 Inch Everyday pan back in 2019. Then I decided to clean up my mother-in-laws old "Red Mountain" BSR #8. Really turned out nice.

I guess I watched too many Youtube videos on cast iron when I was researching the old BSR, because I kind of went on a buying spree.

Bought all of the Blacklock skillets from Costco (10.25", 12", 14.5") and then the 7" and 4 Quart deep skillets to round out the set. I wasn't as impressed with them after all as I thought I would be.

Bought a Field #10 Factory Second back in April. Really liked it, so I bought a #6, #8, and #12. Should have just gotten the 5-piece set in the first place. I ordered a Stargazer 12-inch in April also. Still hasn't shipped.

Bought a Marquette Castings Michigan No. 10.5 off Amazon in May. I've been cooking eggs in it regularly. It works well, but since the sides are so low if I add a sausage patty it seems to splatter all over a lot. I've spent quite a while trying to get the 10.25" Blacklock (higher walls) seasoned smooth and use it instead, but haven't had much luck. It's much rougher than my ~5-20 year old preseasoned Lodge.

Along the way I picked up a cast-iron chicken thigh (bone-in, skin-on) recipe. Fry 10-minutes skin-side-down on the stovetop, then continue for 10-minutes in 425 degree oven, then flip for the final 10-minutes in the oven.

I buy the~12-13lb 6pk from Costco. Usually 5, but sometimes 6 or 7 thighs per package.

My electric, glass top stove burner measures 9.5", but the heating element under it is closer to 8.5" I had been on kind of a quest to find a skillet that was wide enough and tall enough for all the chicken thighs (without overcrowding or touching the walls), but still small enough to use on that burner without having a pronounced hot-spot in the center.

With all of these different size options available to me, I'm finding that I wind up using the old (to me) Lodge 12" or 13.25" most of the time. I can preheat them to 425 with the oven and they stay hot enough to fry for the initial 10-minutes on the cooktop.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

I guess if I added them all up, I have 25+ different pieces, including a Wagner Ware #3 that's so sulfur-pitted you can barely read it and "Red Mountain" BSR #5.

Back