I got my Griswold 502 back together.

Shawn R

I got my 502 done this weekend. I still don't have a matching grate but it's ready for camping season. I found a parts stove with good grates but I'm not dropping $80 for an incorrect grate. I have not cooked with it yet but both burners are putting out plenty of heat.

cast%20iron%20020.jpg

cast%20iron%20021.jpg

Thanks everyone. My wife was trying to sneak around about getting me a large logo Griswold griddle to go with it as a present. Unfortunately the odd ball grate sits a bit higher which would not allow the griddle to sit flat. I finally asked her out right about the griddle and told her to hold off. I've got plenty of skillets and round griddles to use with it.

Ready for camping season!

Unfortunately the odd ball grate sits a bit higher which would not allow the griddle to sit flat. I finally asked her out right about the griddle and told her to hold off. I've got plenty of skillets and round griddles to use with it.

Ready for camping season!

Shawn, replace the Griswold grate for now. If the wife wants to get you a prize, let her. :icon_thumbsup:

Shawn, replace the Griswold grate for now. If the wife wants to get you a prize, let her. :icon_thumbsup:

I like your thinking! I might just give it a try. The odd ball grate came with 2 friends so it would just take a little more cleaning and some paint.

Shawn......Looks great. I have purchased a three burner off e-bay but has not arrived as of this post. I want to do a similar restoration and I was wondering if the finish you applied is what's known as a "Japanned Finish" and if so where did you purchase it from....Ace Hardware, Auto Parts, etc....? I searched our previous post and found several topics on this type of finish but didn't see where they were purchased from.
Again.....Great restoration........By the way. I was looking at Griswold stoves this morning on e-bay and saw where a seller had listed a single grate for about $15 but I don't know if it would fit your stove.

Shawn......Looks great. I have purchased a three burner off e-bay but has not arrived as of this post. I want to do a similar restoration and I was wondering if the finish you applied is what's known as a "Japanned Finish" and if so where did you purchase it from....Ace Hardware, Auto Parts, etc....? I searched our previous post and found several topics on this type of finish but didn't see where they were purchased from.
Again.....Great restoration........By the way. I was looking at Griswold stoves this morning on e-bay and saw where a seller had listed a single grate for about $15 but I don't know if it would fit your stove.

Thanks for the complements.
I used automotive high temp(650) gloss black and gloss cast iron colors. I did notice some blistering on my odd ball grate. If it continues I will have to redo the grates with flame proof 1200 paint. I just used what had been suggested by others that have done it.

As the burners can run 1,600° to 2,000° I'd pass on that 1,200° paint. My experience with it was not good. I think they lie. The only answer I see is a ceramic coating for the grates like on a Thermador gas stove top if you want them rustproof and new looking.

Competitive Edge Coatings can do that and I'm sure there are many others. $$

Hilditch

Well the paint didn't hold up at all. I only used 1 burner and the grate that was used has no paint left on it. Guess I'll figure something else out.

Shawn, unless it's just for a display piece, I wouldn't even try to paint the grates. FWIW, mine is not a show piece, gets used often, and stays outside under the shed 24/7. I don't oil the grates or do anything to them except cook on'em.

Well the paint didn't hold up at all. I only used 1 burner and the grate that was used has no paint left on it. Guess I'll figure something else out.

Shawn do a research on jappaning it is very interesting,once you apply it needs to be cooked at high temperatures,Even that probably you will need to apply it a few times and so often,basically is like every time you cook on a skillet you have to cover the skillet again with oil or wherever you use for seasoning.

Really nice job... There's an old 2 burner kerosene cooker at a local mall here, price keeps dropping - now at $30 and it's tempting.

Is there a thread on the restoration process, Shawn?

Not really Dan. Here is a thread with pics during the process. Also a picture of what I started with.
http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2513&highlight=griswold

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

As far as the grates go, I will look at the jappaning, but I will probably clean off the melted paint and just use it. Thats really the reason I got it, not for display.

Not really Dan. Here is a thread with pics during the process. Also a picture of what I started with.
http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2513&highlight=griswold

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

As far as the grates go, I will look at the jappaning, but I will probably clean off the melted paint and just use it. Thats really the reason I got it, not for display.

Did you try high temp engine paint? http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-b...ck-high-temperature-engine-enamel/464966_0_0/

Back