Chicken Fryer Question

I'm new to this forum and have been reading some threads about people's favorite pans. I noticed many people are very fond of their chicken fryers.
If I'm not mistaken, aren't most CFs about a #8 size? I've tried to fry chickens in my #8 skillets before but can never fit a whole cut up chicken in one batch unless I use either a 12 inch dutch over or #10 skillet. Thanks for your input!

My Wagner 1088 holds a 1-lb package of pasta perfectly, so it's my go-to pot for that. Also great for cooking rice. I already have plenty of lids that fit. My smallest DO is a 5 qt. CF is a little shallower so if I'd rather be using something smaller than the 5 qt I'll use the CF. I reheat soups and chili in it if I'm feeding more than 2 people. I'll throw a pound of bacon in it and cook it all at once. Just separate the strips and stir somewhat frequently. Speaking of bacon, anything else that could go in a #8 but spatters like crazy goes in the CF.

It's one of my most used pieces of CI.

Yes, chicken fryers are around 8", but consider this - the chickens that were popular 100 years ago were generally 2 1/2 - 3 lbs., not the behemoths that they produce today. They are more like "Sunday Roasters" mascareding as fryers.

My Mom would do the boney pieces (necks, backs, wings) as a second load in the pan.

Chicken or not, I tend to use my chicken fryer instead of my regular #8 for general purpose frying / sauteing because the higher sides reduce splatter on the stovetop.

But yeah no way a whole broken-down chicken would fit in there all at once. 2 - 4 pieces max.

Yes, chicken fryers are around 8", but consider this - the chickens that were popular 100 years ago were generally 2 1/2 - 3 lbs., not the behemoths that they produce today. They are more like "Sunday Roasters" mascareding as fryers.

My Mom would do the boney pieces (necks, backs, wings) as a second load in the pan.

You're absolutely right CJ. Many people aren't aware of it, but those big pieces aren't proportionately suited for frying through evenly with a perfect crust. I was talking about a cutup "fryer" which is the same size as you describe. We can still get them in our "country" grocery store. I also like the liver and gizzard so I can see the the two batches . I can get all the pieces in my 12 inch CDO but it's tight.

Back