Erie Find While at Lunch

D_Madden

Ok, first the story... I had to run some errands at lunch and while driving back to the office I notice what used to be a clothing store a few years ago now has a sign up saying it is a consignment shop... shoes, clothing, antiques and collectibles... etc. So I think, what the heck, I've never been in here before, there's no harm in looking. First impression is it is mostly clothes, women's clothes, lots of shoes some kitchen stuff scattered around in little displays... mostly plates, cups, seasonal decorative pieces... then I notice a little bakers rack with some stuff stacked on it... oh look, a few cast iron pieces... on the floor was a newer lodge... on one shelf was a little square asian looking piece... and under some stuff a rather large skillet... I flip it over to find a mint looking "ERIE" and the number 10... outside heat ring, partial ribbed, scooped handle, triangle attachment pad, distinct area around the rim... no pattern number... ok, my blood pressure might have gone up a bit at that point... check the price tag... $38... hmmmm... maybe there's something wrong with it... I check it for flatness... perfect... scan for cracks... nope... double check the price tag... still $38... The lady sees me holding it and says something like 'oh you found the cast iron skillet... is that the old one?'... to which mumble something like 'yeah and its nice and big too.'... she says the lady that brings her the kitchen stuff always has really nice stuff and mentions some modern le creuset and other stuff... says that she always has to look up the items she brings in because they are high quality and kind of unique. I manage to eek out some small talk... I might have blacked out while I was paying for it... I kept thinking either I was on some hidden camera reality show or someone was going to arrest me for 'stealing' this pan at this price... but I managed to make it to my truck and back to the office. my phone has a terrible camera but I'll take pics and post tonight after work.

Wow, what a nice find! So, will you be going back to that store again?

at least weekly from now on! The funny thing was they also had one of the little John Wright pans, various animal puzzle mold and it was marked about the same price as this Erie skillet... I double checked the prices on both pieces a couple of times... the lady saw me looking at the john wright mold and says something like 'some people like to buy those and just hang them on the wall.' ok...

Wow! I found an Erie for $5 at the flea market. I was so thrilled I forgot to look it over carefully. It had a long crack...so sad. Found it when I got home. $5 lesson. Great job and fantastic find!

Okay Doug, I give up. It's not just the great auctions -- you must have some kind of built in CI finding radar! Great score (I will not be jealous, I will not be jealous, I will not be...) By the way, those John Wright pieces are really cute you know.:roll:

Okay Doug, I give up. It's not just the great auctions -- you must have some kind of built in CI finding radar! Great score (I will not be jealous, I will not be jealous, I will not be...) By the way, those John Wright pieces are really cute you know.:roll:

yes, but sometimes my radar is off. I stopped by one of the little antique stores that I visit probably once a month here in town... they usually don't have much in the way of cast iron so I don't stop in that often... he has a little stack of cast iron pans near the counter, I stop and flip them over to check the markings and the owner starts talking to me about cast iron... he mentions that he bought about 18 pieces of nice old stuff from an estate a few weeks ago, all griswold, big logos, a couple of the Erie pieces... I say oh really, still got any of it? no, it sold quick he says, I had one guy stop by and look through it the first day I put it in the store and he considered buying all of it but ended up buying about 4 pieces... he said he thought it would be around for a while and he would be back... so he called me the next day to see if it was still there and I said it was... and not 10 minutes later another guy walks in sees it and buys it all... I asked him what kind of prices he had on it and he said oh about $35 - $40 per piece... yeah, I'm not surprised it sold fast at those prices.

Back