Field Skillet- A re-birth?

LBoone

Has anyone checked out or even received one of the #8 first go skillets from Field Skillet, a (well funded) project on Kickstarter? These guys seemed to have done their homework and developed a process for forging skillets as they did in the early years of cast iron cookware forging that those on this forum have grown to appreciate. If you have not checked it out, here is the link below. Any way you slice it, glad to see some passion for stepping back in time a bit to try and reclaim some of the forgotten heritage of creating quality cast iron to foster an appreciation for a new generation...

Watch the video...

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...killet-lighter-smoother-cast-iron/description

Re-birth? I don’t think so. Closer to a fantasy. Controlling output from recycled cast iron is a real long shot for the lowest bidder. Don’t show me how an egg sticks in you skillet. Show me you know how to break it loose by sliding the egg toward the sticky spot so the weight of the egg breaks it loose. Reminds me of the expensive knife sharpener on the net that showed how sharp his knives were with a guy cutting onions with a chef’s knife. Too bad the guy didn’t know how to hold the knife, and the owner did not appreciate my observation like some sellers on eBay. (He held it like a hammer.)

Hilditch

I can buy a lot of vintage pieces for the price of this. As a matter of fact, I bought 6 skillets at the auction Monday for about $42 - all Griswolds and one is enameled.

Edit: sorry, Wagners

Last edited:
I have more vintage CI than I use, but I like these skillets. I don't intend to get one, but if I were in the market for new and I was willing to wait, I'd buy one these before I bought a currently produced Lodge.

Back