Lid compatibility question

Steve O.

I am a newbie (first post) and have been buying some vintage cast iron. For some reason I am drawn toward some of the older and lighter pans. Tried to buy some Griswold ERIE pans on the Bay but found the prices higher than I was willing to spend. Recently, I bought a couple of #12 pans--one "Sidney" and one arc logo "Wagner". I am guessing they will be similar to each other and to a "Wagner" #10 that I like. My wife just asked me about a lid to use with the large #12 pans. We don't care particularly if the lid matches. The seller of the Sidney says he has a #12 Griswold lid he will part with for $80. He says it is slightly smaller than the Sidney but hypothesized it might fit the Wagner. So, my questions:

First, does anyone know if the later Griswold #12 lid will fit an early Wagner 12?

Second, is there a chart somewhere that gives sizes/compatibility for lids and pans of different series/manufacturers?

Third, is there a recommended solution for buying inexpensive lids to use on pans in general? For smaller sizes, it is less of an issue as we have lids that we can use in a pinch to cover the pan and reduce splatter and such, but I don't have any large enough for a #12.

Thx much and hope this is not too basic a question with which to trouble folks here. I have learned a lot lurking here and am grateful (tho my wallet is less so and my wife tired of hearing about cast iron pans!).

Steve, I think the answers are no, no and no. To make it worse no two people measure a lid the same way on eBay and manufacturing variances abound. Without a chance to actually fit the pieces together it's a crap shoot.

Hilditch

Steve, I would be tempted to buy the #12 lid as an investment, but for practical use I have a universal lid. It saves room in the cabinet having a lid that fits all, and it's much lighter.
https://www.amazon.com/Garcima-14-I...=1467649284&sr=8-9&keywords=universal+pan+lid

Thanks for all the prompt and helpful replies. Bonnie, I am a bit concerned about that lid due to the Amazon reviews criticizing its durability. How has your experience been?

On another board, someone suggested a aluminum lids from a restaurant supply store and that might be the route we take as what we want is a lid to use say when cooking burgers if we want to retain heat while cutting down on the splatter. As I think it through, a cast iron lid will be most useful when using a Dutch oven or otherwise doing more slow cooking/oven duty.

Thanks very much again for the responses. You all know how to make a newbie feel welcome!

This is just for information. I use DO lids that I have until I can get ones that really fit. They do not cover the pour spots, but its better than nothing.
#9 Wagner arc Drip Drop Baster for a DO: Fits my Wagner arc #9, and just slides inside my Wagner arc #10.
#8 Griswold Self Basting lid that came with a Wagner 5 qt DO: Fits my Wagner arc #8.

We seem to like the same pans. I try and get the early series nickel plated Wagner arc skillets that have the reinforced handle. Very light, nice surface, not spinners so far. Only a slight wobble (less than a playing card thickness) on the #7,#8,and #9. No wobble on the #10.

Steve O
I use aftermarket glass lids on my pans that do not have a CI cover. That way they can go from stove top to oven with no problem. I haven't looked for one to fit a #12 but I would think they are out there.

Good luck

Jack

This is just for information. I use DO lids that I have until I can get ones that really fit. They do not cover the pour spots, but its better than nothing.
#9 Wagner arc Drip Drop Baster for a DO: Fits my Wagner arc #9, and just slides inside my Wagner arc #10.
#8 Griswold Self Basting lid that came with a Wagner 5 qt DO: Fits my Wagner arc #8.

We seem to like the same pans. I try and get the early series nickel plated Wagner arc skillets that have the reinforced handle. Very light, nice surface, not spinners so far. Only a slight wobble (less than a playing card thickness) on the #7,#8,and #9. No wobble on the #10.

I'll also add that a brand new Lodge L8IC3 fits Wagner and Griswold #8 skillets and DO's perfectly. No pour spouts, but better than nothing and a cheap fix while waiting for a vintage one to come along.

Seems from my reading that the Wagner arc or early block logo pans are essentially the same as the Griswold Erie 2d series pans. Is that about right? Other than the price, that is.....😜 I am real new at this--still have some pans that are on the way, and I am out of town so will be another week before I can evaluate them. My Wagner 10 sits flat, but if I press hard on one side, I can get a tiny amount of movement--maybe 1 playing card. This does not bother me as it is stable and cooks great. It has less movement than my wife's grandmother's BSR red mountain #8. The BSR is better seasoned, tho (after 50-70 years of use, I would hope so, and Nanny did not spare the butter or bacon grease/lard!).

I have not bought any nickel plated CI. Are the handles on the nickel versions different f4om the regular ones I have been buying?

Same history Steve with this #7 BSR. This sits flat and has to die for seasoning. Yours probably looks like it’s sister.

Hilditch

Same history Steve with this #7 BSR. This sits flat and has to die for seasoning. Yours probably looks like it’s sister.

Hilditch

Not far off. I see you are living in GA and are a "damnyankee" (that is one word, right?). We have those items in common too. 😜

Also try the 13.25" lid that Lodge currently produces if you want a CI lid. I have a 1930's #12 large logo Griswold skillet and it fits. I am holding out though for a glass lid myself that will fit the #12 Griswold. It stinks that Lodge does not make a glass 13.25" lid, they make the 12" and a 15" just as they do in CI but no love for 13.25" in glass...

Last edited:
I have a couple of Revere Ware 12" lids that fit my #10's perfectly. Walmart has them for about $11, ebay - double that.

Back