Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 09-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Default Eater's Complaints

My spouse complains he can taste the cast iron every time I cook! Does anybody else get such complaints? I'm getting a bit ticked with my hubby! (I do not taste anything wrong) I told him I'd rather taste iron than eat the cancerous material that comes out of Teflon, (His favourite pan)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2019, 02:27 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Eater's Complaints

Either: The pan is not well-seasoned, the iron is reacting to certain foods, and he has hypersensitive tastebuds?

or: He has a predisposed mindset that he's going to taste iron so he thinks he does?
Old 09-02-2019, 09:32 PM

or possibly rancid oil... that can impart a taste and smell... either a strong metallic taste/smell or fishy smell... usually happens with dutch ovens that have been stored with the lid on... and having been oiled, but not heated to the point of being dry/seasoning... and not used very frequently.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:35 AM

The above information is very plausible, and its true. You could always use enameled CI. I Guess?
Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
The above information is very plausible, and its true. You could always use enamelled CI. I Guess?
He never complains when he cooks steak in the caste iron pans. The oil is always fresh and If I need to use enamelled I'll just revert to stainless steel but I am convinced it's all in his head. He is fine with CI when he uses it, even though I was the one to teach him how! He used to start with an unheated pan and complained that every thing sticks in CI, I finally convinced him too heat the pan first and he has been using the CI ever since. He does scrambled eggs, fried chicken, burgers & steak in CI. If I do the same, he can "taste the iron".
Old 09-07-2019, 02:12 PM

I would say its all in his head then. If he can cook and its fine, he must be saying you dont know what youre doing. I mean no harm by that, but thats how I would take it if my wife was the same. We cook every day in CI, even tacos and such, acidic foods, and I have never had the iron taste. Tell him to do all the cooking then, jk...lol
Old 09-15-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
I would say its all in his head then. If he can cook and its fine, he must be saying you dont know what youre doing. I mean no harm by that, but thats how I would take it if my wife was the same. We cook every day in CI, even tacos and such, acidic foods, and I have never had the iron taste. Tell him to do all the cooking then, jk...lol
Iím thinking of secondly agreeing with the above. Very few things I do without cast iron. No one has ever said anything than wow that was good.

Wish you luck on changing hearts and minds.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Cook one of his favorite dishes in the cast iron pan and when finished cooking slide it onto the Teflon pan....present it to him before putting it on his plate and see if he says anything. Commonly known as the bait and switch theory....