Finding That Right Person

If all else fails, the members of castironcollector.com forums can divvy up your stash, and keep your memory alive while we cook with, ogle, and cherish your ferrous fortune.

No apologies required. I just wanted to acknowledge those that have given this some thought rather than the thread ending with a pun. Trust me, I enjoyed them too.

Benjamin, I'm not concerned about my memory, just the appreciation of the iron that can make such good food. Even Lodge! Today and tomorrow more than yesterday. Anonymity is fine.

Hilditch

Well I for one pray you have a long time to decide the final resting place of your beloved iron. Long life and good health to you sir.

Hilditch, I agree with DSBradley; hope you live long and continue as you are--I have had so many laughs from reading yours, and others', posts in this forum that I am sure my life expectancy went up some with every chuckle (and occasional guffaw); thanks everyone for info. and humor, as both are valuable. Maybe you could make a deal with some high-class auction house which specializes in CI, or antiques and collectibles, then have your estate donate to whatever worthy cause you wish. Or maybe you could endow your own museum? Well, good luck in making the right decision for you--in the meantime, thanks for the good will and interesting messages--although all those pictures of luscious food make me hungry every time I see them!

Some feedback: I contacted a couple of local culinary schools looking for a person or place that would appreciate my CI. The following are the impressions I took away from our conversations and reading their course requirements.

Their main goal is to provide a person with an associates or BS degree who is capable of getting a job in the kitchen of a restaurant chain.

Cooking takes second place to things like management and inventory control after the core courses to teach them what they should have learned in high school about English, math and computers.

Cast iron is history that went out with the horse and buggy. The program administrators had no interest in CI cooking and no courses were offered using or learning about cast iron.

Todays culinary students have little or no knowledge of or interest in cast iron. Fancy presentations of baked goods is much more important, just behind being qualified to get a job.

Programs are designed as a shotgun approach to learn a little bit about a whole lot of kitchen management and some cooking of specific recipes.

I will admit that cooking with CI could be an Associates Degree Program all by itself, with no demand.

My search continues.

Hilditch

Find the people you have inspired. I have maybe ten pieces of cast iron, I use them all. My godson loves the Dutch oven. My nephew likes the griddle. If I go first, they will get them and very likely remember me each time they use them.

I have found, cleaned up and given new life to pieces that were essentially duplicates to what I have. I have given them to friends who showed enthusiasm.

A great way to share something I enjoy.

I have a friend who is an executive chef through marriott. He went through culinary school here in Michigan. The man is truly a genius when it comes to cooking. His chef in culinary school taught him that you could season a cast iron pan by deep frying it............

Helen, you are lucky. All my relatives and acquaintances are severely cooking challenged. They seldom venture beyond a nuker or crockpot, and then with poor results. I got a call last Easter from a 35 YO asking how to boil an egg. So my search.

Justin, I have determined education can not cure stupidity. Although stupidity is an epidemic in the US our educational system stays locked on memorization of facts and bad information. At the masters degree level one is introduced to learning how to think. At the doctorate level learning how to think has a greater priority but that is still not a cure.

Experience seems to help but is surely not foolproof. It is nice to know that deep frying in 375° oil can eliminate all that smoke and trouble over the years. After of course putting the skillet through the oven cleaning cycle.

Hilditch

Hilditch

My idea, I know nothing of your history, gender or age. Perhaps take a cooking class make new local friends. I know you post a lot of good recipes. Perhaps you should host classes. Only brain storming here but those are the people you seek

Back