'Self clean oven' prep...can pans touch

MaxG

I seem to be buying up way more cast iron than anyone could really need....(hence my findings yesterday from just a few sales)

I normally start my seasoning process with the self clean setting in my ovens...

Is it OK to have different pieces touching during that process? If not, what is the downfall?
I'd assume that at the extreme temps it wouldn't matter, but I've never been in this position. I run 2 ovens, but this load is well over what they can handle (in 1 run) if not touching.

ce70acd44de473c3c112ef1782dfc666.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can leave out the DOs and griddle, unless you have a safe way of removing and replacing the handles without damage. I don't see where touching would matter, unless perhaps flat surface flush to flat surface. Hard to say, it's something you rarely see being done.

Hi,

The "Cleaning Caveats" in the "Stripping & Cleaning" section of this sites warns "Cleaning pieces by burning them in a fire, or using a self-cleaning oven both have the potential to ruin if not outright destroy a piece" It explains that the high temperatures may warp your pieces. I read elsewhere this may be more of a risk with larger items.

For your consideration.

Back