First new pickup since joining this forum

EricC

Not only my first pickup since joining the forum, but the first vintage piece I actually purchased myself instead of having handed down...

A BSR #8 DO. I stuck with BSR to match my other stuff. There's a bunch of these available, but why did I pick this one?

Because the markings are hand-etched. I read this on Cast Iron Chaos' BSR page:

"While much of Atlanta Stove Works' production records from its early days have been lost, speculation on the Facebook group for Birmingham Stove and Range came to a reasonable conclusion that these may be among the "first series" of Red Mountain pans, produced during the 1930s or possibly even earlier. The hand-etched molds may have been produced before the size numbers were standardized and permanently added to the design of the mold."

If anybody has additional information or clarification on the subject, please share.

Otherwise it's in really good shape, no rust or pitting. It is a little gunky so it's getting cleaned.

Other things of note - the size etching on the underside is off-center from the pourspout, and the underside of the lid has two little bumps on the reverse of where the handle attaches...

Beautiful pot! Nice find!

It is a little gunky so it's getting cleaned.

I was at a place last week and saw some DO's that had obviously been cleaned up, but whoever did it left the pots so sticky I had to wash my hands before touching anything else. It was like he poured syrup all over them. I actually left deep fingerprints in the lid when I picked it up to look at the underside of it.

I would call that a learning curve by the seller, I'm guilty of the same thing for personal use in the past. I wouldn't take it to heart. If it's something you're looking for, redo later. If price is right and what your looking for fix it later.

With the DO I posted in the OP here, it wasn't sticky so much as grimy. It came from the seller's father's estate and had been in dry storage for a long time. Seasoned enough that it survived without rust and not drenched in vegetable oil that dried to a sticky mess, but it would leave a kinda-greasy brown residue on your hands after handling.

But since the OP I've stripped it down and reseasoned it, just finished doing my first meal with it which I'll post elsewhere when I have time.

I have also posted elsewhere a camp DO that I haven't used in about 15 years. That one I apparently had drenched in vegetable oil and it was in a state like what's being described, a sticky mess. It had even "glued" the lid on, I had to use a tool to gently pry it off... But that one's now cleaned up, too, and getting some seasoning...

Back