Lye bath advice

MikeB

Hi all,

I have a few pieces that I wanted to give a bath too. I've never done this before. Was wondering if there is a tutorial anywhere here on it. Havnt found if so.

Otherwise I am looking to get a step by step guide. Starting with where does one find the chemicles to do this. And what is the procedure from start to finish.

Thank you !

Lye bath is easy. Most are nervous starting off, but don't get too hung up on the recipe. I personally use 1 pound of lye to 4 gallons of water.

Just be careful with it and keep the tank covered when you're not poking around in it.

And keep pets away when using it. Almost had my dog try to drink it while removing some cast iron. Caught him in the nick of time!!

And "DON'T" put aluminum in it to remove crud. It is the last sentence of the lye process for cleaning and easily overlooked. I totally ruined a vintage Wagner Ware Drip Drop Baster pot and lid in less than 12 hours submerged in my lye bath. You will end up with a "black" pitted piece that is worthless for most anything.

And "DON'T" put aluminum in it to remove crud. It is the last sentence of the lye process for cleaning and easily overlooked. I totally ruined a vintage Wagner Ware Drip Drop Baster pot and lid in less than 12 hours submerged in my lye bath. You will end up with a "black" pitted piece that is worthless for most anything.

Depending on where your tank was , you are lucky... This reaction with aluminum puts out huge amounts of hydrogen gas. About a pound of aluminum will produce enough gas to level a medum sized house.

It is outside away from the house near the barn. Surprised our site doesn't have a BOLD caution regarding this procedure and the consequences should it happen. I don't do much aluminum and therefore didn't go back and re-read the procedures. My fault totally and now my roaster will be a vivid reminder as to what not do again.....

Back