Hello - New Here & Have a Question

Anton_P

Hello all,
I've been dabbling in cast iron for awhile and have a small assortment of Wagner and Griswold pans, but a recent purchase has left me with a question, which I hope someone here may be able to answer. You see, I purchased a new-old-stock Griswold 866 lamb cake mold. It came in the original box and included the instructional recipe pamphlet. After scrubbing it down with soap, rinsing, and towel-drying, I set it in the oven for more drying before bacon-grease seasoning. However, the kitchen was shortly flled with acrid fumes resembling somewhat the scent of melting crayons. So, I'm wondering whether this mold was originally coated with something (a rust inhibitor of some sort?) at the factory. Is this to be expected from a brand new vintage piece? What is it that is burning off? I'm including some photos to help with dating.

Attachments

• IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_2795.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 23
Thank you for your replies. GTurner, do you know anything about the type of wax used? I'm inclined to think the substance paraffin based on the smell. I've read that paraffin combusts somewhere between 390 & 480 degrees, depending on its composition, so unless I learn something more, I think the mold will be going back in the oven. I hope to get around to the task tonight or tomorrow. I'll report back with the results.

More time in the oven (at 450) did the trick. The mold eventually stopped smoking, and afterward the surface felt more bare. There was some residual soot, but nothing that another washing couldn't take care of.

Back