Cleaning ?

Casey H.

I have a Favorite Piqua DO I found at a junk shop. The crud on the inside has been very difficult to remove. I have run it for 96 hours (2 48 hour runs) in my etank. Outside black crud slipped off as usual. Inside around the outside of the bottom and about and inch up the sidewalls has a hard buildup that looks like rust, but it isn't. I am wondering if it is a combination of scale from boiling hard water (like a humdifier pot on a woodstove) and cooking grease/etc. It is hard to capture in pics. Etank has worked well on other pieces, running 9-12 amps with a pair of 1" graphite rods. Any suggestions?

If it's hard water scale, would CLR work considering that there is oil mixed with it? I was told that CLR would remove the scale. You just have to rinse/wash it very well afterwards.

Do you have any pictures at all? I know you said that it is hard to see what you mean.

Nice find on the DO, there a good one... We do need pictures.... Another product is evapo rust. It come in liquid or gel form. Fill that puppy up and cover. Let it sit a day and see if that helps... Scrub really well in cold water after.

I had some luck getting it off with a nylon drill brush. After removing some, I am convinced it was a large buildup of starch - possibly potato in layers almost like oil based seasoning. Unfortunately, as I progressed through the cleaning process, I found there are hairline cracks in the bottom. What a letdown.

Back