"splotches" in the Seasoning

WallyF

I have been working to build a good seasoning layer on this #8 Wagner. Started by following the process outlined on this sight. Used lard for the first 3 layers before cooking. Cooked some bacon and sausage before trying anything else. It seemed to be getting pretty good.

After cooking, I either use Canola oil or lard. My only deviation in the process is after cooking. If necessary I boil some water and/or use canola oil with Kosher salt to get everything off. After rinsing it out with water, it goes into the oven. Set at 200 degrees. Leave it in for 10 minutes after it reaches 200. Once it comes out, I apply the canola or lard with a paper towel and then wipe with a cloth.

Yesterday, after I removed it from the oven, there were 2 noticeable "splotches" that look like the seasoning came off. If the handle is 12 o'clock in the picture, the "splotches" are at 10 and 1. The one at 10 is a line about 1 inch long and about 1/4 inch thick. The one at 1 o'clock is a circle about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Is the normal? Did I mess using the oven for the post cleaning dry out? Do I need to start over or will it fix itself?

https://imgur.com/a/l2vUU

I don't know if it's the cause of your problem, but your post-cooking technique does seem a bit excessive.

Try this - after cleaning it, hand-dry it with a paper towel. Then put it on the stove over LOW heat for just a minute or two; you don't need to get it real hot, just enough to aid evaporation of any residual moisture after the towel wipe.

Then spread a couple of drops of canola oil over the cooking surface and use a dry paper towel to remove the excess. That's it, a lot simpler and all it needs.

After the initial oven seasoning you'll build more mature seasoning through using it for cooking. You don't need to take extra steps in the oven each time. But I have been known to put it through a seasoning cycle in the oven (without adding oil) after about six months of use to "firm up" the stuff built up from cooking...

Back