Hard to Reach Surface Rust Removal

Ed_R

Hello all,

I'm in the final stages of bringing back a Griswold Erie #22 p/n 954 from the brink. I've gone a couple rounds with oven cleaner, 2 short vinegar baths, and gone over it several times with a wire brush drill bit and steel wool by hand. It's starting to look really good, but I'm having trouble getting at surface rust in the corners of the stick molds. My 1 inch wire brush for the drill can't get in there and there isn't enough rubbing room to get at it by hand with the steel wool. Does anyone have any good tricks for removing hard-to-reach surface rust? Pictures attached.

Thanks - Ed

Attachments

• castiron1.jpg
    castiron1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 14
  • castiron2.jpg
    castiron2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 14
Stainless steel Chore Boy scrubber (stiffer than steel wool) or medium stiffness narrow s/s wire hand brush (look in soldering section at HD for cheap, wood handled cleaning brushes). These pans and waffle irons are the reason electrolysis is so popular.

Thanks Doug - issue with scrubbing by hand is there's hardly any room to scrub. I may try to borrow a Dremmel hand tool tool from a friend, but short of that I can't think of anything small/tough enough for the job.

Or set it on edge at an angle, put some straight vinegar in those corners for about 15-20 minutes, then scrub with an old toothbrush. I wouldn't want to see some high speed Dremel attachment go astray and leave a permanent mark.

I may try to borrow a Dremmel hand tool tool from a friend.

I ended up using a Dremel to clean a corn stick pan, but Doug's right, be careful. Also, the Paint dept. at HD has stainless steel wire brushes with plastic handles that do better in wet situations. Also look in their paint dept. for the Maroon colored Scotch Brite pads, they make quick work of easy to get to rust. (Not really helpful in this situation, but FYI)

Back