E-tank Surprise

Eldon B

Hi There,

What is brewing in this e-tank :confused:...Stay tuned! :icon_scratchchin:

Attachments

• 2017-08-09~e-tank-.jpg
    2017-08-09~e-tank-.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 107
I'm kind of intrigued by that e-tank set up... so your 'curved' sacrificial anodes are bolted through the tank, and so you can hook up your wires outside (nice) and cover all around a piece in 360 degrees (nice).. can't get your water level higher than the holes but wouldn't necessarily be a big deal... I like it.

Hi D,

The e-tank is a 30 gallon plastic drum, and the curved sacrificial anodes are stainless steel so they won't rust when the tank is not in use. I can get the water level higher than the copper bolt holes as I made the tolerances very tight and siliconed all around the bolts, so no leaking.

Depending on the size of what I am hanging I can have several pieces suspended at a time. I use an individual board for each piece so I can control it's position to the stainless steel. I hang the cast iron piece by an adjustable length of stainless steel chain and then clamp a piece of copper wire to the cast iron that is then clamped to the negative lead of the battery charger.

Hi There,

Here is the before and after spending 6 days in the e-tank, then 5 rounds of seasoning with Crisco heated up to 200*, then 300* and them 500* for and hour.

I had never left a piece of cast iron in the e-tank for more than a couple of days, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised how clean it came out, I would guess that probably 98% of the rust was gone and the wire brush took off the rest very easily. I didn't expect that the inside of the bowl would come out so clean!!

Attachments

• 2017-07-22~Cast Iron Bowl-006.jpg
    2017-07-22~Cast Iron Bowl-006.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Cast Iron Bowl-024.jpg
    Cast Iron Bowl-024.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Cast Iron Bowl-010.jpg
    Cast Iron Bowl-010.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 31
Back