CI Seasoning?

When doing the seasoning of any CI do you want to heat it to the point of 350°F and then rub it down with Crisco or what ever your flavor is?

I was reading Cast Iron Seasoning and read this,

"Close the oven door and raise the oven temp in 70 or 80° increments, about 5 to 10 min. apart, until it reaches 350°F. We want the temperature of the oven somewhat near but below the smoke point of the oil we'll be using. Canola and refined grapeseed oil, both good choices, smoke around 400-425°F; commonly-used Crisco shortening smokes at 490°F. All will still polymerize at 350°F if the applied layer is extremely thin and it is heated long enough to reach a "dry" state, meaning they no longer feel sticky or tacky to the touch."

Just trying to get a step by step process down. I was told to put oil on when cold and heat over to 300 for 5 minutes and wipe it off and then heat it to 400 for at least 60 minutes.

The description of the seasoning methodology on the website is also prefaced with this:

"Methods for manual seasoning vary. Most people just end up adopting a routine that has proven successful for them and sticking with it. There is not a single "right" way, but there are several wrong ways. For purposes of illustration, this is what I (and many others) do, and why:"

As long as you understand that the layers you apply manually must be extremely thin and baked on until no longer tacky, you should be OK.

As long as you understand that the layers you apply manually must be extremely thin and baked on until no longer tacky, you should be OK.

No I'm good with that just wanted to know or didn't want to leave room for a misunderstanding as how the process goes. I don't have anyone around here to talk too so that's why I'm asking here! Sorry if my questions seem stupid!!! Doug you seem to have the most knowledge about this, So "There is not a single "right" way"

So can you say how you do it?

Mike

Last edited:
My point was that there's a lot of what might appear conflicting information on the subject. More often, it seems that some people are just trying to be different, like their way is the only, best way. Do you really need to preheat the pan? Probably not. It likely comes from the (erroneous) notion that iron has pores that open when heated, and that the seasoning will "stick" better. On the other hand, most long time collectors started during a time when Crisco was an accepted standard for manual seasoning. Imagine trying to apply Crisco to a cold pan, or worse, a gem pan or waffle iron, then trying to wipe it all off.

So can you say how you do it?
Like the article I wrote on the website.

Is there a better seasoning for, lets say “display “ pans and a different kind of seasoning for pans you’re planning to cook with???? I met a vendor one time and he said he used mineral oil ......I have no idea. I’ve used olive oil and Crisco but I do have a few pans that I’m not planning to cook with I just want them clean and seasoned..... hope this is not to dump of a question, thanks

Back